While we're on the topic of mixing Flexcoat and the different methods folks are using, here is mine.
1. I always measure 3cc ea of hardner + resin using the colour coded syringes for no matter what I am doing.
2. Put into a small graduated plastic measuring cup recommended for this use.
3. Mix it very well using a metal spatula (a Gudebrod product). Anything wooden creates bubbles.
4. While mixing, I take care to scrape around the surface of the plastic cup and scrape off the spatula, then continue mixing. This ensures that the entire combination is well mixed and there is no trace of any one componemt left unmixed either on the spatula nor cup surfaces.
5. Pour into a small aluminum foil tart tray and let it stand for a minute or two while I get the rod rotating on the drier unit of my rod lathe.
6. I prefer to apply the finish to the rod using a good quality red Sable hair brush, starting at the tip top and working back towards the handle assembly.
7. I do all the guide wraps first.
8. The hookkeeper wraps are done last or if I have done a butt wrap or other fancy thing at the handle area, I save that for the next day to complete.
9. Once the guides are done, if needed, I use a Methyl Hydrate Bubble Burster (great item) to burst any bubbles that may appear in the finish, by giving them a short flame blast with the bubble burster. Occasionally a bubble might appear at the base of the guide foot and a flame blast breaks it immediately.
10. Dispose of the plastic cup ($.01) and the foil tart tray ($.02), clean the spatula and brush well with rubbing alcohol and I'm good to go.
This is the method I have been using for all standard rods and all repairs that I do. If working with longer rods with many guides like a 13' float rod (Steelhead), I will warm the bottles of flexcoat in a container of hot water. This helps to thin both parts a bit before I measure them and prolongs the working time slightly to allow me enough time to do all the guides at one time. This method has worked well for me for many years now using both brands of Flexcoat and with good results. Disposing of the items used is not a great loss and insures that nothing in my shop is contaminated for the future. It was good to hear what other folks are doing and interesting to know what works for them. Over the years, I have learned thru trial and error, that the key to working with epoxy is cleanliness, proper mixing and patience. Without those it just doesn't work for me. Good finishes folks!

------------------