My 2 cents worth, meaning it isn't worth much, but............I prefer a dead drift approach. Let's face it, the river itself will be adding a lot of action to the fly. The choppy surface water, the various currents the line has to travel through, the bouncing along the bottom, the action of the water coming off the rocks along the bottom pushing the flies up or sideways, yes, plenty of action is given to the flies while you try to maintain a dead drift. I always let my fly swing up at the end of the drift and I must say that it is very seldom that I get a hit at that point, but I do it anyway, just in case. The vast majority of my fish are caught on a dead drift of the nymphs. Some of the takes are so soft that you must maintain a perfect dead drift just to be able to see them. Again, just my 2 cents worth. But then I remember when 2 cents would buy a lot of candy. However you fish the flies, as long as you are having fun and catching a few fish, then life is great. Larry ---sagefisher---