+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Time warp only for beginners?

Default Time warp only for beginners?

So last week I sez to myself, just a few hours to go and I'm done with this flyrod.

HA!

Just as soon as I commenced to settin up for epoxy-ing the wraps, a couple of the guides fell off and had to be re wrapped. We just put on the second coat of epoxy today. But wait! That ferrule wrap looks hinky. Re-do!

So today I'm thinking I'm on the home stretch. Tomorrow or the next day I just tie on the stripping guides, the hook keeper, add one more coat of epoxy and sometime this summer I may get to fish this thing.

Does time go as you planned when you're building?

Blog Entries

Oh , just wondering why your guides fell off, not to mention why you didnt have ALL your guides, strippers and hook keeper included on the blank before you got into the epoxy thing. Maybe I'll just wait to hear the end of this saga, before asking any more questions....lol

The strippers are going to be tied on over a thread base rather that right onto the blank.

The continuing saga is that the second coat of epoxy is not dry today and will have to wait to have those guides put on until tomorrow. The hook keeper and decorative threads at the winding check can wait until then. A couple of guides fell off because they weren't on tightly enough and the threads and guides got bumped out of alignment in transport to class. Another was on too tight and the guide couldn't be moved at all and was out of line.

I really want this rod to be done, but I really want it done right, too.

Are you at the point that you know exactly how long a rod will take to build? Or do you sometimes get stuck in a time warp?

I have a rule that has saved me from lots of frustration. I think that it will serve me well if I ever choose to build a rod.
    - When I have decided that I have assigned sufficient time for a project, I double that time. So if, after all considerations of labor, parts, unknowns, interruptions, redos and whatever, I figure that 14 hours are what I need for a project I double that to 28.

Blog Entries

Time is what you make of it. Dont hurry the job to say "finally it's done". Things worth doing , are worth doing right. Rod Building for yourself is supposed to be an enjoyment. If it is'nt then their is no point in continuing on. ........Best advise is Patience, learn and enjoy the project....grow from the experience.

Thanks fellas. Some good advice.

I can't say I've enjoyed the whole process, but it still seemed worthwhile. I will soon have a flyrod that I put a lot of time into. I stuck to it. That has some value. I wish I hadn't missed a nice day fishing with my husband, though. There has been only one nice day since then. Winter doesn't want to let go of us.

It will be good to finally fish the rod.

I always know if I am having fun when I am involved in a project, time passes quickly.

I notice that when I am struggling with a problem, finding the solution, seems to take forever.

~ Parnelli

"Time Flies, when you are having Fun! Time Walks, when you are not having Fun!"

[This message has been edited by Steven H. McGarthwaite (edited 22 March 2005).]

+ Reply to Thread