+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Why is it you seem to have extreme confidence with certain flies?

Hybrid View

Default Why is it you seem to have extreme confidence with certain flies?

This is a question I've often pondered. Why, with certain fly patterns you seem to fish better, and thus, catch more fish?
    Is it psychological? Is it a confidence issue? Is it ingrained memory? Maybe the flies are just fish-magnets? Or am I just loony?

Any opinions?

As always, curious Bob.
    When you can arrange your affairs to go fishing, forget all the signs, homilies, advice and folklore. JUST GO.

That is a very interesting question. I have extreme confidence in about five patterns that I fish on a regular basis. To tell you the truth, I'm not sure which came first, the confidence in these patterns or the fact that they consistently produce fish for me. There have been a good number of occasions where I've been fishing with one of these patterns and catching lots of fish and then give one to a fishing buddy or even a total stranger and watch them flail away with little or no success. I've even cut the fly off of my line to give to another person and told them where to cast and how to fish the pattern and they don't seem to have the same success. Who knows, perhaps it's just plain old fishing Karma. Jim Smith

Quote Originally Posted by James Smith View Post
    That is a very interesting question. I have extreme confidence in about five patterns that I fish on a regular basis. To tell you the truth, I'm not sure which came first, the confidence in these patterns or the fact that they consistently produce fish for me. There have been a good number of occasions where I've been fishing with one of these patterns and catching lots of fish and then give one to a fishing buddy or even a total stranger and watch them flail away with little or no success. I've even cut the fly off of my line to give to another person and told them where to cast and how to fish the pattern and they don't seem to have the same success. Who knows, perhaps it's just plain old fishing Karma. Jim Smith
    Aah karma....I like that Jim! Also the juxtaposition of your success with your flies v/s others is very thought provoking.
    Last edited by bobbyg; 05-15-2013 at 10:13 PM.
    When you can arrange your affairs to go fishing, forget all the signs, homilies, advice and folklore. JUST GO.

I find the more I fish with a particular fly the greater the hookup success over time. It's a matter of taking the time to figure out how to present a particular fly. I guess you can call it confidence.
    Trout don't speak Latin.

Those flies I have real confidence in are those that have proved themselves again and again. Quite often I'm given to a little experimentation and the popular ones here often prove themselves.

I think we tend to underestimate the value of confidence in fishing success. I put it at the top of the list, everything else flows from it.
    It Just Doesn't Matter....

Most of my go to patterns have been given to me by more experienced fishermen or women that I have caught fish with very quickly with after being given the fly. Also most of them are some form of hopper or spider patterns.
    If at first you don't succeed ... Then sky diving may not be the sport for you

+ Reply to Thread