+ Reply to Thread

Thread: SA Ultra 4 Lines

Default SA Ultra 4 Lines

Anyone have experience with this stuff? I Have a couple WF lines I got on the cheap and was wondering if it's worth it to replace the line I'm currently using with these. I'm really looking for any kind of comparison with other "mainstream" lines. How does it behave? If this makes any difference, I got a WF 4 weight and a WF 5 weight.

Thanks!

Blog Entries

They work fine. Have a DT7F on my steelie rod, and it casts just fine.

[url=http://www.activeangler.com/articles/product_reviews/articles/fly/doug_macnair/ultra4.asp:aff7e]http://www.activeangler.com/articles/product_reviews/articles/fly/doug_macnair/ultra4.asp[/url:aff7e]

Pretty good test and write-up.

SA has made a committment that they would only sell their Mastery series of fly lines through Fly Shops, or full-time staffed fly fishing departments. With more and more big box retailers adding a selection of fly fishing equipment and demanding a line of quality products, SA repackaged some of their Mastery lines as Ultra 4 to meet the demands of the big-boxes while "honoring" their word to the Fly Shops not to offer the Mastery series lines everywhere.

So in answer to your question, the Ultra 4 is the top of the line from SA.

I have use an Ultra 4 on my 4wt. It works fine. To me is seems to be just as good a line as any others out there (but that's not saying too much).

I figured as much, retail on these lines was something like $46.99. Pretty comparable in price to the Mastery lines. I would imagine that this is a way to get the product into a "non mastery" dealer. Maybe not so coincidentally, the shop I got these at has just become a Mastery dealer. Perhaps clearing these out for the Mastery lines.

+ Reply to Thread