+ Reply to Thread

Thread: cicada event

Hybrid View

Question cicada event

Are any tiers in the northeast preparing for the forcast seventeen year cycle of the Cicada?
    Are there any patterns developed during the last cycle?
    Last edited by Ray Kunz; 05-23-2013 at 12:38 AM.

I don't think we'll see this in the midwest but this pattern struck me as pretty cool.

http://hatchesmagazine.com/blogs/Hat...oren-williams/

The only problem with a cicada pattern is they are not very effective. A cicada is not an aquatic insect. A few may end up in the river as a terrestrial however they are not recognized by the trout as a food source. When the wind blows terrestrials into the water ants, bees, inchworms and beetles are a far more effective patterns.
    The man who coined the phrase "Money can't buy happiness", never bought himself a good fly rod!

Greetings Ray, yes, we certainly are preparing. I've been tying cicadas for the past two weeks. New Jersey has started and a couple have emerged in Gaithersburg,Md. about 11 miles NW of DC. The Potomac River is expected to boil with fish activity as soon as the emergence gets into full swing. We have had some cold snaps and heavy rains here which is probably responsible for the delay as ground temps need to be in the high 60's. As far as patterns go, I tied and posted (on this board...fotw) a cicada pattern back in 2004 which has been very effective for bass and I am trying it out on trout this year in a smaller version....sz 8. My current pattern is in sz 4 and 6. I am also trying this out on the huge snakeheads which are now occupying the Potomac. Those monsters are fighters but have a mouth that is practically lethal for hands or fingers! there is a snakehead tournament each year since these awful fish have invaded. Will post more later when thing get going. My pattern instructions somehow got a little jumbled with the pics but I think you will be able to figure it out. I am thinking about doing a revision. Regards, Gerri

Thank you Steven for the referenced SBS on the Cicada.
    We will be doing that at our club meeting this week.
    Last edited by Ray Kunz; 05-26-2013 at 03:11 AM.

Some black crystal flash wings and yellow underbody and you got a pretty good bumble bee.
    Want to hear God laugh? Tell him Your plans!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Kunz View Post
    Thank you Steven for the referenced SBS on the Cicada.
    We will be doing that at ouf club meeting this week.
    The one thing I would note is that a 2XL #10 hook, strikes me as short. 17 years ago I saw the emergence at a friend's house in New Jersey. I remember the bugs as being HUGE!

And pretty scary looking too, to be frank. My friend's dog kept on eating them and got pretty sick.

I took these pictures of a Cicada emerging in 2011. Was very interesting to watch and thought the pics would come handy tying a fly to match the colors. That year we had a large hatch and on the lakes the fish would gouge on the cicadas when they would fall into the lake.

mis pics of 2011 032.jpgmis pics of 2011 033.jpgmis pics of 2011 034.jpgmis pics of 2011 035.jpg

Here is a picture of one after the wing had dried and the brown colors once the cicada had died.

mis pics of 2011 036.jpg
    Last edited by ronnie_mckee; 05-22-2013 at 04:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by stumphunter View Post
    I took these pictures of a Cicada emerging in 2011. Was very interesting to watch and thought the pics would come handy tying a fly to match the colors. That year we had a large hatch and on the lakes the fish would gouge on the cicadas when they would fall into the lake.

Attachment 11980Attachment 11981Attachment 11982Attachment 11983

Here is a picture of one after the wing had dried and the brown colors once the cicada had died.

Attachment 11984
    This color phase usually hatch every summer it is known as the periodical Cicada the 17 yr is almost black with orange Blane Chocklet of New Angle FlyFishing tyes the most realistic pattern ck it out on YouTube .

+ Reply to Thread