+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: NEED to UNDERSTAND about Furled Leaders. Educate Me Please!

Jeff; One was made from 7X tippet rated at 3.1 lbs. w/tippet ring. It broke around 8.5 lbs. One made from 6X tippet rated at 4 lbs. w/Shorb loop went to over 13 lbs. with out braking. Another one was 4 lb. test mono with a Shorb loop that went over 12 lb. without breaking. Have to do some more testing for sure.

Jack, etal, I will retire to the Dungeon and make a couple of leaders with Schorb loops and a couple with rings and see what happens. I can tell you that the rings I use are very strong. I have tested them by tying 2 pieces of 20# test mono to them and pulling with the force gauge. In all tests, the 20# mono broke before the ring. I never did break a ring...deformed a few, but never broke. The mono broke in the mono itself, not the knot, and at least at 20# of force.

The only reason I decided to get a force gauge and test the leaders is that my customers were wanting to know the breaking strength of the leaders I make. I can tell you that I have tested several other people's leaders and they over estimate the strength of their leaders. But if it works for them and they are happy, happy, that is all that matters.

Brad
    "A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her."
    -W.C. Fields

Sorry for the delay, finally found time to destroy a couple of leaders.

Made 2 with rings and 2 with Shorb Loops on the tippet end. The Shorb Loop leaders broke at 8.5 and 9 pounds of force. The ringed leaders broke at 12 and 13 pounds of force.

My standard thread was used for the test...the same thing that I make all my thread leaders with. Leader length was 5 feet...again a standard length that I make, use and sell.

Is this a scientific test? NO!! Many more leaders will have to be tested before I or anyone can come to a concrete conclusion. My theory is that a Schorb loop puts a direct strain on the 3 strands of thread and the Larks Head Knot used to attach the ring protects the 3 strands. Again, this is only a theory, more testing will have to be done.

Brad
    -W.C. Fields

Brad what's breaking strength per strand of thread and was it 1.5 loops at the tip end?

Brandon

Default Furled Leaders

I use Mercerized Cotton Sewing Thread for my Furled Leaders, cotton is strong and will last...

I have published on FAOL a couple of articles on my "Big Furled Leader Formulas" peg positions are calculated in inches and in centimeters... I have give CD's to Members of FAOL who have asked for this CD.

I believe that cotton is the best product for doing Furled Leaders, the result is a a Furled Leader that is parabolic, and the leader has no hinge effect between the five segments of the furled leader...

Changing the slope of the taper of the furled leader can give you more at the butt or it can be move forward to the tip.

Anyone who does have one of my "Big Furled Leader Formula CD's" have setup their own website using my CD as the model...

All you have to do is contact me at parnelli@comcast.net ; one will be in the U.S. Mail the next day (no charge for the CD or the mailing cost)

Parnelli
    "Everyone you meet in life, give you happiness! Some by their arrival, others by their departure!" ~Parnelli

Taking it back to the original post-'cuz I too am short of understanding. Is there a difference between "furled" and "twisted" leaders? The latter I am familiar with.

Shorb Loops hide the ends of the furled leader, and gives the ends an furled finish... I bought a Knit Picker at JoAnn Fabrics where you insert the knit picker through the both end of the finished furled leader too hide the loose strands which will give end loops that will not break...

~Parnelli
    "Everyone you meet in life, give you happiness! Some by their arrival, others by their departure!" ~Parnelli

Quote Originally Posted by john View Post
    Taking it back to the original post-'cuz I too am short of understanding. Is there a difference between "furled" and "twisted" leaders? The latter I am familiar with.
    Yes there is a difference. Here, a twisted leader is being made...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pbcVaEe3RIs

Furled leaders are layed out on a fixture with pegs placed at different locations . This produces a leader with a built in taper. Pegs can be added or removed to make a leader with just about any taper that you desire. With this method, there are no knots in the leader and you have a smooth taper from butt to tip.It also produces a finer, more delicate leader.
    Here are a couple pictures of my board...

Brad
    -W.C. Fields

+ Reply to Thread