+ Reply to Thread

Thread: old reel at a garage sale, please help (pic)

Hybrid View

Default old reel at a garage sale, please help (pic)

i picked up an old reel at a garage sale for $5. it is a JCHiggins model 47c. green paint. does not feel like drag works and was wondering what you could tell me and if its worth putting some money in to. i enjoy fishing with the older reels.

Blog Entries

Clean it up good and lube it. I use engine assembly lube. It's light and slicker than snot on a glass doorknob. Many times all these old reels need is a good cleaning.
    Kevin

Be careful how you live. You may be the only Bible some person ever reads.

go to fiberglassflyrodders.com and contact bulldog1935. he's a reel guru and will most likely have a wealth of information about your reel.

I would say it is an Ocean City reel made for Sears and Roebuck (their J.C. Higgins brand).
    Is there a drag setting marked 1 to 4?

As to the drag, I'm not sure but 47 series reels may have had a silent drag?

Not worth much but a good serviceable reel when operating correctly and smoothly.
    Certainly worth tinkering with.

EDIT: The guys on FFR nailed it as an OC reel!
    Last edited by bobbyg; 05-11-2013 at 04:32 PM.
    When you can arrange your affairs to go fishing, forget all the signs, homilies, advice and folklore. JUST GO.

Default Old Fishing Reels

Old Fishing Reels... do not throw them away, there is a way to restore them back to their original "out of the box" condition...

My father-in-law had a Ocean City Spool Reel that was his fathers...

His son (my brother-in-law) when he was a teenager, hacksawed the foot-plate to use the Ocean City Spool Cast Reel (1930-1940s ?) on a fishing rod that was for smaller spool feet...

I came into possesion of this 300 yard Ocean City Spool Reel, and went on line to site where anglers who use spool reels can go to locate replacement parts from other anglers.

Now this Ocean City 300 yard Spool Reel is in as close to original condition as is humanly possible

There are site on the internet where fly anglers go to search for spare parts for old fly reels, or ask for information on their fly reel they got in a garage sale...
    "Everyone you meet in life, give you happiness! Some by their arrival, others by their departure!" ~Parnelli

No idea what it's worth, but reels like that at the very least are very nice "decor" for the man cave so even if you don;t get it working use it for some nice vintage fly fishing decor

Steve

I collect ocean citys and repair the best I can from older reels that are damaged---worth 5-10 dollars. I have several like that with the OC logos. that one is a OC no. 76 made in phila. pa for sears. if you decide to sell let me know I'll make an offer..
    sandfly/bob
    N.J.B.B.A. #2215
    I did not escape.....they gave me a day pass!
    from the outer edge of nowhere
    fly tying and fishing ghillie..

+ Reply to Thread