What is a Turkey Round?
All feathers on all birds have a proper name, given to them when a species is first established. It is sometimes difficult to find charts of feathers for us to know the proper name of a feather.
Along comes a group of people called fly tiers. We use every feather we can get out hands on. Some of us even come up with an unusual or different fly and we use a feather that either just happens to be on our fly tying table or because it works. Some of us show how we tied a particular fly and need to tell others what it is. Do not know the proper name but call it what we like. (I personally have no problem with this). Perhaps this is where the name “Turkey Round”came from. This is easier than to say it comes from the 3rd & 4th secondary flight feather of a Turkey.
I noticed the term “Quill”being used out of context. For info only: the Quill is the stem of the feather. (several different names for the stem) but for ease lets call it a stem.
Back many years ago I tried my hand at Gothic Calligraphy and made my own Quill pens from the secondry flight feathers from a Goose. This was supposed to be the best but they can also be made from the same secondary flight feathers of a Turkey, Swan or Crow.
I think we tiers should try to name our feather choices in our telling others of our pattern by using the proper name. From each side of a stem we find Barbs. From each side of the barbs we find Barbicels on all feathers except from about 30% of the feathers found on a genetic rooster. (these are what makes the difference between wet & dry). NO Barbicels = Dry fly
So, just my understanding, there is no feather on any bird called a “Round”.
I would guess the feather used was a Turkey secondary flight feather, perhaps 3rd to 5th. The barbs are about equal in length so the round end can be used. The stems on all Turkey feathers are large and almost impossible to wrap. Nothing like what we tiers demand in our Genetics.
Just my 2 cents worth.
DennyWhat is a Turkey Round?
All feathers on all birds have a proper name, given to them when a species is first established. It is sometimes difficult to find charts of feathers for us to know the proper name of a feather.
Along comes a group of people called fly tiers. We use every feather we can get out hands on. Some of us even come up with an unusual or different fly and we use a feather that either just happens to be on our fly tying table or because it works. Some of us show how we tied a particular fly and need to tell others what it is. Do not know the proper name but call it what we like. (I personally have no problem with this). Perhaps this is where the name “Turkey Round”came from. This is easier than to say it comes from the 3rd & 4th secondary flight feather of a Turkey.
I noticed the term “Quill”being used out of context. For info only: the Quill is the stem of the feather. (several different names for the stem) but for ease lets call it a stem.
Back many years ago I tried my hand at Gothic Calligraphy and made my own Quill pens from the secondry flight feathers from a Goose. This was supposed to be the best but they can also be made from the same secondary flight feathers of a Turkey, Swan or Crow.
I think we tiers should try to name our feather choices in our telling others of our pattern by using the proper name. From each side of a stem we find Barbs. From each side of the barbs we find Barbicels on all feathers except from about 30% of the feathers found on a genetic rooster. (these are what makes the difference between wet & dry). NO Barbicels = Dry fly
So, just my understanding, there is no feather on any bird called a “Round”.
I would guess the feather used was a Turkey secondary flight feather, perhaps 3rd to 5th. The barbs are about equal in length so the round end can be used. The stems on all Turkey feathers are large and almost impossible to wrap. Nothing like what we tiers demand in our Genetics.
By the way, let us not confuse biots & Quills. Biots are normally harvested from the first 3 Primaries, taken from the outside of the feather as they are much different than barbs stripped from the inside. Somtimes products we purchase may be labled by someone that does not know the proper name? Just because something is written in ink does not make it so. There is always the Commercial, marketing side of things.
Just my 2 cents worth.
Denny