+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Fun At Diego Garcia....

Hybrid View

Default Fun At Diego Garcia....

Had some time to fish on this past trip. One day was all jacks. They're fun to catch and they pull hard. Got a stingray, also. About 3 feet across. Took about 20 minutes before I even knew what it was. It was just a slow tug of war game. Got it up on the beach and thankfully the hook came loose. I wasn't really looking forward to playing with it.

Got back a week later and only had about two hours of light left. Fifteen minutes in a small bone hit. Only 17" but it made my day. It got better. Got three more. Two were the same size, one went about three pounds. Lost two and missed a couple. It was kind of an accident because I was throwing a streamer in 4-6' of water. Had to untangle a line loop and it hit bottom and the little booger nailed it. Repeated and they would hit. I'd rather be lucky than good!!!! Beautiful fish. Almost pure silver. I didn't have my camera because I have a tendency to drop them in the water. Got one of the beach and one of my new favorite "bonefish" fly though. Both times I had the whole place to myself.

IMG_0189.jpg IMG_0234.jpg
    Last edited by fr8dog; 05-10-2013 at 01:28 AM.

Very pretty water! Ain't it good to be half way across the world and find familiar species of fish, even in the IO? Any other servicemen fly rod angles with you?
    US Veteran and concerned citizen

Quote Originally Posted by appalachian angler View Post
    Very pretty water! Ain't it good to be half way across the world and find familiar species of fish, even in the IO? Any other servicemen fly rod angles with you?
    I had a feeling that the bones would be around there. The water was just a bit deeper than I'm used to. Usually I sight fish flats for them. I'm a civilian pilot flying military contracts in and out of there. When we have passengers, I hit them up for info. Not many fly fishers though.

Wow what an experience. Civilian or not thanks for your service! Yours is a dangerous job I'm glad you get a little fringe benefit with it.

+ Reply to Thread