+ Reply to Thread

Thread: How's your runoff

Hybrid View

Arrow How's your runoff

It's that time of year. And runoff makes for some exciting times in this neck of the woods.

With several very warm days, runoff on my home water has really ramped up. Fished it last weekend at 5,000 CFS and yesterday at about 8,500 CFS. This morning it is close to 11,000 CFS and still rising.

The water here ...

... was close to 2' deeper than just a few days ago, and a bit off color.

But it still gave up some fishies, both to a salmonfly dry and a big stonefly nymph.

This spot ...

... didn't have enough water to hold fish just a matter of days ago, and yesterday gave up several good fish to the stonefly nymph.

Here is one of several new pockets ...

... that form up near the bank during runoff. Nothing going on in this stretch until the water comes up quite a bit. Catching was pretty good along this stretch yesterday ...

... with both dries and nymphs - and will be getting better over the next few weeks.

When I checked out one of the tributary creeks in late morning, it was running high, fast, and clear. By late afternoon ...

... higher, faster, and not so clear.

Looks like runoff in Western Montana and Northern Idaho is going to peak earlier than average ( around May 26 ), peak lower than average ( around 21,000 CFS on my home water ), and end earlier than usual. But the day to day changes over the next six to eight weeks will create interesting challenges in finding the places the fishies are holding and can require some creative approaches to presenting flies to them. One of the best times of the year, for sure.

So what are you guys looking at in other parts of the country ??

John

P.S. Runoff also makes for some really dangerous conditions / situations. Take care out there.

NOTE - the CFS figures are taken about 50-60 miles downstream at the closest monitoring station.
    The fish are always right.

You saw my pictures. The flow right now is 250/260 between Pleasant Valley and Tinemaha reservoir. That's from the LA DWP website.

This is the Owen's at Line Street Bridge East of Bishop.

Last edited by jimsnarocks; 05-08-2013 at 11:24 PM.
    I'm either going to, coming from or thinking about fishing. Jim

Blog Entries

"Forecasted unregulated inflow to Blue Mesa Reservoir is 340,000 af between April and July. This is 50% of the 30 year average." So the tailwater is very low, and will likely stay that way for a while.

But the river I have to wade across to get to the tailwater is juuuuuuuust high enough I can't wade it most days, with about one inch visibility. Runoff is going to be kind of drawn out this year, so it shouldn't be that bad. Last year it was almost nonexistent.

Gunny in the canyon...

Looking down from that same spot...

Rainbow on a caddis (the thumb shot for John)

And a brown...

And what it looks like up in the hills (I would try this if the stoneflies were out)

PS I caught a fish on a hopper this weekend, so it is officially summer.
    Last edited by DG; 05-09-2013 at 03:05 AM.

913 Jackson Lake Rd, Chatsworth, Ga. 30705 (423) 438-1060

How's Your Runoff........?

Maybe not as good as it used to be, but they gave me these new pills at the VA Clinic.........

What's a runoff?

Blog Entries

John,
    My Blue Ribbon Flies Newsletter says the Mother's Day Caddis are really coming off. How about in your area???? I'm really jealous. Won't be there until June..........

It's amazing how clear that river seems to stay during runoff.

+ Reply to Thread