+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How's your runoff

Blog Entries

I was on the other side of the river when that spike hit today. Think they opened up the dam. Was a bit sketchy coming across the river this afternoon. I can do it up to about 750 CFS...

PS I couldn't take the caddis hatch again today with the 3wt. So I took the 1. Aside from the wind blowing, it was fun!

Maine, Now I've retired to North Carolina (just south of Fayetteville)

The rivers I fish close by (with in an hour of home) were very high about ten days ago, I was unable to get close to the water because of the brush and trees. Then we got no rain at all and water droppped drastically, but I had to work and wasn't able to fish. Now we got a little rain, and I'm gonna give it a try this morning

I think you might top your 20,000 cfs number, John. Make sure you don't get washed downstream.

Amazing what a week of 80 degree days can do (same range, different perspective)

5/5/2013

5/14/2013

Flying in over Flathead Lake, the upper end was "thick" and the mainstem river was puking mud; btw, not much of the snowmelt pictured here has probably even entered the system yet since most of this goes through Whitefish Lake first and it tends to come out the bottom end pretty clean. Time to search out some stillwaters (may be some other options out there, as well) over the next few days.

Regards,
    Scott

Blog Entries

I recommend going 40 miles downstream and watching all those wet coeds in the rafts. Maybe provide a shuttle service.

Have thoroughly enjoyed all the pix and info you have provided us. We had such good fishing there down towards Three Rivers, but the thing I remember best about the Lochsa how hard it was to wade, slick and really rocky. Is it that way all the way up to the top, or does it get better? I remember you had one bad tumble.

Yes, "jumbled" was the term I was looking for - the water was quite low when we were there, and you could at least see what you were dealing with. I really miss just stumbling around without a staff, but can honestly say I haven't had as many falls since I have used it. Gotta get back to Birch Creek where you don't need one.

Blog Entries

If it goes down one...more...day I can wade over and fish. Then again, it stopped raining and the sun was shining all day, so I don't hold out much hope. Still a lot of snow up high, on north slopes and in the trees. Rainfall is above average even if snowpack was below.

+ Reply to Thread