+ Reply to Thread

Thread: New Materials

Hybrid View

Default New Materials

Not much action here lately!? Anyone testing out any new materials for furled leaders. I've had some great results with 7 & 6X tippet mono. Expensive but a very nice leader!

Jack,

Here is the description of the 7X fluorocarbon tippet I was telling you about and it is $5.95:

100% Fluorocarbon
    50 M/.14mm dia.
    7X Tippet/2lb Test

Just incase you were interested.....

Warren
    Fly fishing and fly tying are two things that I do, and when I am doing them, they are the only 2 things I think about. They clear my mind.

Yep, have to check that one out/

Warren
    Fly fishing and fly tying are two things that I do, and when I am doing them, they are the only 2 things I think about. They clear my mind.

I agree with John, it's all a matter of what you're trying to get done. I fish smallies and need to get my large flies down deep quickly. I use flourocarbon because it works best for this type of fishing. However, two winters ago I found a spool of 2 lb. flouro (thanks to winter ice fisherman up in this neck of the woods) and furled up a few leaders. Liked suppleness of the finished product but was disappointed when I started fishing it. It didn't turn over the bigger flies as nicely as my 4 lb flouro furled leaders. My 4 lb flouro leader lasted all of last season and I put many, many hours on it.

As long as we are discussing "new" material, I will throw in the ring my favorite new material......Berkley Fireline Crystal. I use the 2lb and 4lb test for almost all my leaders. I have gone the mono, floro, and uni route and I have yet to find a longer lasting, better turn over, more versatile leader. I know I am most likely alone on this one because I only know of one other furler that uses Fireline Crystal. I have used 6x tippet to furl and I agree that it makes a very nice leader. My biggest objection is when I snag something (and the way I cast, the fly could end up anywhere) and I have to put a lot of pressure on the leader to break the tippet, the leader comes back in a hyper curled mess due to the stretching. Floro is not as bad as mono but with the firewire, there is no stretch and thus no curling problem. Fireline is expensive but I have some leaders that have lasted 3 seasons. The longer you use them the more supple they become.
    caribe

+ Reply to Thread