+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Asheville , North Carolina Trout streams, Help

Hybrid View

Default Asheville , North Carolina Trout streams, Help

Trip scheduled June 17-21 to Asheville NC for some sightseeing (for my lovely wife) and fly fishing for me. Have had success upon previous NC Trout FF'ing experiences in the Sparta- Stone Mt State Park area but have yet to visit what is referred to as the PRIME trout waters farther South and deeper in the Smokies. Hoping to stay put in our hotel/motel in Asheville and then drive wherever to FF when I can, which SHOULD be more than any prior visits.. Question is, does anyone here have any experience within reason of Asheville ?? What I have seen, from any number of Western NC Trout FF'ing websites, their are tons of prime waters within 1/2 to 2 hrs drives... Any suggestions would be deeply appreciated.. Email me drfas2@aol.com if you like or cell phone 412-916-0249..

Thanks
    FAS

There's plenty. You can drive to Brevard to fish the Davidson or the S mills. You can go north to Spruce Pine. Contact Hunter Banks in Ashville or Davidson River Outfitters in Brevard.

You can also head to GSMNP an fish the east side of the Park. Or you can drive over to Dillsboro and fish the Tuckaseegee.

I will try and help.If you travel south of Asheville and head to Davidson be prepared for technical waters heavily fished and very temperamental depending on weather.I would probably stop short of there and hit the north or south mills river.The north has a camping area and when starting from the bridge at the end of the road start walking and cross the river upstream at least five times before starting to get farther away from where most will walk.You could drive to south mountain state park or stone again be be aware you will not be alone that time of year.Terrestrials will be in good fishing order then also.On a note on the smaller streams your main problem will be access to fish most without tress pass signs posted almost everywhere.

Hunter Banks will really help you out just call them. Also that time of year the temps are up and the fishing is slow.
    If at first you don't succeed ... Then sky diving may not be the sport for you

FAS,

Good suggestions from folks thus far. If you don't mind driving no more than 2 hours (probably closer to 1 hour 40 minutes) then I'd check out the South Holston in East Tennessee. Arguably one of the top two rivers on the East coast.

+ Reply to Thread