+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Wader Repair Question

Default Wader Repair Question

Got a trickle leak on one foot of my Simms Freestones. Garbage waders; the original pair I had gave me 4 good years, the 2 pairs of outsourced junk since (replaced for free, I admit) have started shipping water within a few months. If I Aquaseal the seams do I void the warranty? At this point not a huge deal, but I don't need much of an excuse to head down that way to fish and can stop at their office, dump the old ones off for a new pair.

Regards,
    Scott

That's a question for the company, I have taken back bean waders that were patched and they took them no problem, but I think part of that would have to do with who you deal with at the counter.

Quote Originally Posted by Derik View Post
    I think part of that would have to do with who you deal with at the counter.
    Isn't that the truth? Last time, I talked to their sales rep (I was sitting at the Pine Creek access, south of Livingston, about 30 miles from their office), who told me flat out he'd replace them, but I'd be calling him back within the year with the same problem (he was pushing for me to upgrade to a pair "made in the USA", for just an extra $200). When I stopped by an hour later, with the waders still wet, the guy at the desk acted like I was nuts; had to track down the rep to square things away but I walked out with my current pair (which, as promised, did start leaking within a year).

Regards,
    Scott

so why would Simms sell waders that they know are crap? There are a lot of other wader brands out there. I have a pair of Simms wading boots which I like very well but were not my first choice. They happened to be the only size 14 boots available when I needed to buy them. Again, they are very nice, but not the only choice. Simms stuff is expensive to the point that they shouldn't be selling stuff which their own people don't like. What does that say from a marketing point of view? To me, it means I won't buy Simms waders even if I could afford them. I have a set of Cabela's 5-layer breathables which have stood up to much abuse for 2 seasons now, dry as the day they were new, lifetime warranty (common sense, as stated), that cost half of what comparable Simms cost, AND they were available in "tall" as a standard item, not special order. I don't care what sticker or label is on my waders. I care that they are good quality for a fair price.
    To the simpleton, proof does not matter once emotion takes hold of an issue.

Quote Originally Posted by jszymczyk View Post
    so why would Simms sell waders that they know are crap? I don't care what sticker or label is on my waders. I care that they are good quality for a fair price.
    When I bought my original pair of Freestones, they were a good product at a decent price, and I got 4 good years out of them. Over the past few years Simms decided to outsource production of their lower-end products, and quality control went out the window. Their more expensive stuff, that's still made in the US, apparently is under tighter quality standards (I'm speculating here, but I hear few complaints from folks about those products). As to why the sales rep told me what I could look forward to with another pair of (now) foreign-made waders, it was because he was looking out for me as a valued customer - I joke, he was trying to get me to shell out another $200 for their real good stuff. I'm not into labels and don't blindly buy based on brand names; what I originally got was exactly what I was looking for, then Simms decided to change how the game was played.

Regards,
    Scott

913 Jackson Lake Rd, Chatsworth, Ga. 30705 (423) 438-1060

I used to use bacon grease and a piece of pork rind for an emergency patch, but for some reason, turtles kept following me around..........

+ Reply to Thread