+ Reply to Thread

Thread: SERENDIPITOUS PMD EMERGERS - FOTW - May 6,2013

Hybrid View

Blog Entries

Default SERENDIPITOUS PMD EMERGERS - FOTW - May 6,2013

SERENDIPITOUS PMD EMERGERS
    Not as in Serendipity, which is a famous fly, but as in serendipitous, like when a bunch of things come together to cause a particular result. Without listing all the things that converged to make these flies emerge, suffice it so say that it was an unusual set of circumstances that resulted in this fly coming off the vice.
    The fly was tied for a very early PMD hatch on my home water in Northern Idaho. Early as in mid-April. And it has been a hatch that produced very large PMDs that hatched somewhat later in the day than the PMDs that I am accustomed to.

Default Newest Contribution from John Scott

John Scott as a member of FAOL has contributed many wonderful fly patterns to "Fly of the Week" over the years...

Serendipitous PMD Emergers is John Scotts latest contribution to add to the sixteen other FOTW Articles by John Scott in the FOTW Archives...

Thank you John...

~Parnelli
    "Everyone you meet in life, give you happiness! Some by their arrival, others by their departure!" ~Parnelli

Lightbulb Fly Tyers ...

... Magazine named Barry Ord Clarke it's first and ( so far ) only Fly Tyer of the Year in 2021. Clarke has been writing about fly angling and tying for many years, has written or contributed to something north of thirty books on fly angling and flies, and has over four hundred videos on fly tying, a large number of which are posted on YouTube.

A couple weeks ago, Barry posted a video on YouTube for an extended body mayfly. His technique and materials are somewhat different than I have used over the past decade plus, but the end result is quite similar.

So I decided to direct Barry to a couple of my FEB flies, first Duck's Green Drake and then the Serendipitous PMD Emerger, as examples of tails incorporated in an FEB. Felt rather a bold thing to do, considering Barry's standing on the International Stage of fly tying, especially when I told him that I would be delighted if he was interested in and would give some thought to posting a video on the technique to YouTube, something I am simply not equipped to do.

I heard back from Barry this morning - "That's interesting!"

Barry didn't commit to anything, and only time will tell if he follows through on my request. But his email was a nice way to start the day.

Stay tuned.

John
    The fish are always right.

+ Reply to Thread