+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help, I've been given a cane rod!

Default Help, I've been given a cane rod!

I just left a clients house with an old 9'cane rod. Where do I start? I'm sure this is not an expensive rod due to the Aluminum reel seat. It currently has 5 guides. Do I reconfigure with the standard 9 for a 9' rod. My big fear is upon removing the current wrap there will be extreme discoloration under them. One tip has a curve and has a split in the first 4". Can I cut and shorten to an 8'6". Try straightening it? Or just be happy with the one tip. One interesting thing is the tip tops seem to be copper. I don't think it is a collectable so I would like to be able to fish with it. Seems to be a 5 or 6 wt. How is this determined? Thank you for any input. Still praying for Spring in Wisconsin.

There's really no value in using it? Even for Panfish. I hate that everything has become disposable.I've been told that how we treat our kids determines the level of the nursing home their going to put me in. Right now rumor has it I get a Van down by the River.

Coach Rob,
    On the outside chance that it has value, take it to a shopowner who may send you to a rod builder-refinisher who won't mind giving you the straight scoop. Is it a split bamboo rod or a cane "pole"? I've seen some good rods with aluminum seats but rarely! Be prepared to take Castwell's advice!

P.S.
    Take a good look at those beautiful new rods in the flyshop while you're there!

Took it to a shop and was told that JC was psychotic, oops I mean't psychic, it is a piece of junk,but for $20.00 and some time I'm going to restore with new thread, guides, and varnish. What the heck it's Wisconsin, morning temp. is 9, the wife's honey do list isn't getting shorter, and the Steelehead aren't moving into the tributaries. Who knows it might be fun for harassing blue gills and bass.Thanks for your replys.RH

If the tip is delmaninated you can insert pins into the strips to separate them then inject some glue. Then you wrap it with thread to bind the strips together. Next sand the glue off and refinish. Problem is, the strips delaminated for a reason. There may be moisture issues and the rod could likely break at the ferrule where it will look nice and black when it does. Ask me how I know.
    But heck other than that, if it is a cheaper rod strip it down slap some new guides on it and refinish it.

Coach, Quick get rid of that thing while you still can. In fact you really ought to send it to me and I promise to keep it from you for your own good. Or -- if you insist, rebuild it. If after you rebuild it you decide it is a real dog, you are only out the price of some guides, thread and varnish. But you would have had some fun and gained some experience which will come in handy for the next project rod, and there will be another.
    AgMD

Coach Robb Go for it. You will enjoy the rebuild and I'll bet the rod will come out ok.
    gerry l

Thanks everybody. I've already replaced a pair of the ferrules, removed the wraps and guides, I want to keep the tip top because it has a copper color that I've never seen before, besides it's not nicked or marred. I'm replacing the 5 guides with a more contemporary 9 including two stripping. I'm wrapping the guides with a dark brown /black twist without ornamentation or a butt wrap. Who knows it may not be fishable but anytime spent on flyfishing pursuits is not wasted time. My wife of 25 years doesn't allow any other vices. Robb

Restoring antique rods is a lot of fun, and often results in a great rod. I've done three, and enjoyed each project very much.

A note when you go to varnish. The choices range widely, but I use Helmsman Spar Varnish. Others use marine varnish or Formby's tongue oil. I think the Helmsman about 30% with mineral spirits and apply with a cheap foam brush while the rod is rotating on a drying stand. Others use dip tubes. I find it works best to coat the guides with a bristle brush about 1/4" wide first, then apply the varnish on the shaft with the foam brush, 1", along the length between wraps as you go. It may take several passes to get coverage since the rod is turning, but I end up with virtually no bubbles or runs, and what excess varnish I move as I swipe ends up on the wraps, helping out the finish there.

Hope this helps,
    R

------------------
    [url=http://www.native-waters.com:9c0bf]http://www.native-waters.com[/url:9c0bf]

Here is the finished product. A little work and $20.00 for materials I think it looks good enough to go above the fireplace instead of in it?

+ Reply to Thread