+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Tying on tippet ring: help needed.

Hybrid View

Default Tying on tippet ring: help needed.

I'm trying to tie on a tippet ring. What a hassle. Does anyone have an easy way to thread the tippet through them? They're too small too hold. Once they are threaded, I guess the best knot to use is a uni knot. I'm just wondering if the rings are worth all the hassle.

Thanks,

Randy

Randy,

Keep it on the wire it comes on and gently slide the tippet material through the opening, use the one that comes off the wire FIRST...on the water, I use the flip down magnifiers 'cause without them, I am lost...

PT/TB
    Last edited by planettrout; 05-05-2013 at 08:33 PM.
    Daughter to Father, "How many arms do you have, how many fly rods do you need?"
    http://planettrout.wordpress.com/

They do come in different sizes, but, yes, the small ones are hard to handle. I generally prefer the somewhat larger ones (3mm) and use them at the end of the taper section of my leader. I thread the end of my leader through the ring and then hold the ring with a dubbing needle while I knot the leader to the ring. Once you have the ring attached to your leader, you have a "handle" so adding tippet to the ring is easier. I use an improved clinch knot, but suppose a unit knot or whatever you prefer for attaching tippet to fly would be fine too.

You could use your fly tying bobbin threader or a regular sewing needle threader. Push threader through the ring, stick the end of your tippet into the threader and pull it through the ring. Just a thought.....
    Warren
    Fly fishing and fly tying are two things that I do, and when I am doing them, they are the only 2 things I think about. They clear my mind.

I keep all my tippet rings on a safety pin. That makes it an easy process to put tippet through and tie the uni knot.
    Please, support Project Healing Waters....Thank You

Folks,
    Thanks so much for your help.
    Randy

Randy ... just a question .... why isn't the tippet ring attached to a furled leader? They thread up really easy .... . (OK .... someone had to be the smart patutie!)
    Seriously though ... do you need a furled leader? I have heard about people on this very board who make/furl some pretty kewl leaders!!
    Trouts don't live in ugly places.

A friend is not who knows you the longest, but the one who came and never left your side.

Don't look back, we ain't goin' that way.

+ Reply to Thread