+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Bouyancy?

Hybrid View

Question Bouyancy?

If you tie a foam strip to the hook shank, then cover it with dubbing or chenille or whatever, will the fly be more bouyant? And if so, is it enough to be worth the trouble?

I'm thinking about a hopper pattern, and I would like to add some bouyancy to the fly. I know there are plenty of foam hoppers out there, but I just got to wondering if a foam strip tied to the shank would be of any use or not???

Thanks in advance,
    hNt

PS, Unless this idea gets completely shot down, I'm going to try it anyway, but I'm at work now and just thought of it. Obviously, I'm making a real good hand for the boss man today. lol
    "If we lie to the government, it's called a felony, when they lie to us, it's called politics." Bill Murray

If the strip of foam is tightly compressed either in tying it in or covering it with dubbing it will not add buoyancy. Do make sure that it is centered above the hook shank if it is not compressed as it may cause a fly to float on it's side or back otherwise unless some other design feature compensates for it.
    I can think of few acts more selfish than refusing a vaccination.

When you lash down a piece of foam you are compressing the air pockets within the foam. So unless you leave the foam uncompressed along the shank, I don't think you would notice any difference in buoyancy of the fly.

I have tried tying stimulators with a foam wrapped abdomen, and pulling tight on the foam to achieve a nice smooth body was enough to eliminate the air pockets and the flies floated worse than traditionally dubbed stimis.

Pulling a strip of foam over the back (like the elk hair on a Humpy) would aid in buoyancy.

Hope this helps,
    Adam

The Klodhopper has dubbing over a foam underbody. You tie down the foam with spaced spiral wraps. It also helps that there is some uncompressed foam fore and aft.
    http://www.flyanglersonline.com/flyt...010107fotw.php

Thanks for posting that Jay, that's real similar to what I had in mind trying, in fact probably better.

thanks again,
    hNt
    "If we lie to the government, it's called a felony, when they lie to us, it's called politics." Bill Murray

+ Reply to Thread