+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Gar

Question Gar

This sounds crazy I know, but still I am wondering. Does a gar stink? Let me explain, a couple of days ago I was eating lunch next to the pond in the city park, when I noticed a very strong fish smell. I mean I've smelt fish all of my life, but this was extreme. There was a very large fish that came to the top of the water, not far from where I was sitting. I only got a glimpse of it, but I would've sworn it was a gar. It isn't a very big pond, and if someone has turned loose some gar in there, I know they will probably take over the pond, but I can't swear as to what kind of fish it was. But it had a very strong odor. Anyway, I was just wondering if anyone else has had any experience with them.

thanks in advance,
    hNt
    "If we lie to the government, it's called a felony, when they lie to us, it's called politics." Bill Murray

Only after a few days in the sun!
    Mike

Never caught one that had a smell to it. My problem is the guy in the canoe with me landing it, he is scared of the teeth.
    "Next to a healthy 10 pound carp a brook trout can look like a minnow in a clown suit"

You land your own dang gar!
    The Green Hornet strikes again!!!

Hijack, love the quote.

"Next to a healthy 10 pound carp a brook trout can look like a minnow in a clown suit"

Go catch a big ugly fish,

Gary

Gar farts?

The tilapia are so thick here that even with the boat on plane, we hit many of them as they sun at the surface. By the hundreds they lay there and in the cruising boat you can smell their putrid spawning perfume, the males almost glowing pure white. Before they came along and wiped out the bluegills, the bream would bed in massive flats and everyone near the water could smell that it was time to start fishing for bream.

It is that time of year for the turtles to do their thing I believe and they can be quite the stinkers too. may have been the aroma surrounding the pond
    US Veteran and concerned citizen

Quote Originally Posted by bowfin47 View Post
    Gar farts?
    Or hungNtree farts. Blame it on the "big fish".
    All men are equal before fish.

-Herbert Hoover

Spare Time for Fish

913 Jackson Lake Rd, Chatsworth, Ga. 30705 (423) 438-1060

What causes fish to smell are mainly two chemicals, dimethylamine, and trimethylamine. They are broken down from trimethyl oxide, which is present in the flesh of all fish. When a fish dies and becomes exposed to oxygen and nitrogen, it's own bodily enzymes and bacteria begin to break down the trimethyl oxide into dimethy and trimethyl amines, which are very volatile, and very reactive to nasal receptors. This is probably so that scavengers can find it quickly and dispose of it, returning it back into the system.

Gar have no more amines than any other fish. It may be that gar carcasses are just left out more often, and for longer periods. They have an outer hard plating of ganoid scales that may discourage some scavengers until they soften up a bit.

+ Reply to Thread