Couple years back, I had the oportunity to purchase a South Bend Model 59 (7 weight) 8? foot (3 piece) Split Cane Fly Rod, that still had it's original Cardboard Tube, Cloth Sleeve and Extra Tips Section. Was interested in using it to fish for Bass (Largemouth) which can get up to 5 pounds in weight in Minnesota.

Trouble was that the rod had the original guides, and the PVC Line was too large to cast the rod with any distance. Silk Line was hard to find and very expensive (I found out) and the care and maintainence was another drawback. So this rod sat in its case, retired...

Now is the first day, since I bought the Cortland Sylk Line, that I had a opportunity to take the Fly Rod outside to do some lawn casting, as the high temperture reached 50 degrees (F).

I wonder just how many Split Canes are in stored in closets, having been retired from use, for decades for lack of fly line. This may help to bring back Split Cane Fishing even further, than the recent increase of interest.

My arm is somewhat sore because the fly rod is heavier than my graphite's and I last was fly fishing in October. But it was wonderful to feel the South Bend come to life, as I held it, as it was cast for possibly the first time in many decades.

Thank You Cortland, for bring out a Fly Line that allowed me to be able to use this 55 year old fly rod. The line easily shot out 60 feet with normal casting strokes. I know the 444 PVC Sylk Line will give me many year of low maintaince enjoyment. And I can finally go fishing with the Split Cane, without having to replace the original silk line guides and agate striper guide.

~ Parnelli

[This message has been edited by Steven H. McGarthwaite (edited 06 March 2005).]