Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Peacock herl

Pheasants:
    Divided into the following:
    Genera = 16
    Species = 49
    Subspecies = 124

Genus Phasianus Linne
    This is where the True Pheasant, or Game pheasant that most of us know as Ringnecks are. It is interesting that there are 13 subspecies
    in this group. All will interbreed and produce fertile offspring.

Yes, Peafowls are considered Pheasants.
    Genus Pavo Linne
    2 Species
    3 Subspecies

All birds can be eaten by man. Just depends on how ones taste is as to how good one might think them to be.
    I have raised almost all breeds of Exotic Pheasants. The only ones I have ever prepared for my table is the
    Chinese Ring-neck Pheasant, Phasiamus cholchicus torquatus.
    The reason I have not eaten any of the others is because many of them were valued $$ wise far above what I
    could sell them for as breeders in difference to table meat value.

Sadly I choose to no longer raise the birds. I do miss having them. I have one male Temminick's Tragopan mounted,
    hanging on my bedroom wall. I have tied with feathers from almost all different species I have raised but only from
    collecting moulted feathers. Peafowl males moult the entire train within 4 days.
    I do prefer using the first 4 primary feathers from a hen Black Shoulder Pea Hen, leading edge for my biots. They are almost
    white and pen dye w/Prismatic pen to whatever color I need. (I once had a beautiful trio of the Black Shoulders) The male could
    not display his fan across an eight foot wide pen. He had to turn cross ways. The herl from the Black Shoulder has a gold or Bronze
    cast of color to it.

The Pheasants of the World by Jean DelacourISBN 1-85259-138-2 My copy is a second and revised edition, 1977
    It has many color plates, info on color of males, hens & chicks. One of the best books on Pheasants ever published.

Denny

Blog Entries

A funny story from Hawaii... We were hunting the Big Island for (Rio Grande) turkeys, pigs, and pheasants (kalij and ringneck) when my wife shot her first turkey. We had been watching them from afar for a long time before we could make it work and get in range.

The turkeys were running out in huge fields with grazing cattle everywhere.

I tried to gift the bird to others in the party and all IMMEDIATELY turned down the offer.

The "Fu Man Chu" around the beak was obvious and the monstrous bettles (many still alive) in the "half-gallon" craw should have made the discovery quicker... But we were told the table quality of turkeys living on dung bettles was not too good... and, due to my hardheadedness, we discovered later they were absolutely correct! I have never tried to eat a nastier bird!

And I have eaten many birds most folks would never consider food...

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Denny View Post
    Pheasants:
    Divided into the following:
    Genera = 16
    Species = 49
    Subspecies = 124

Genus Phasianus Linne
    This is where the True Pheasant, or Game pheasant that most of us know as Ringnecks are. It is interesting that there are 13 subspecies
    in this group. All will interbreed and produce fertile offspring.

Yes, Peafowls are considered Pheasants.
    Genus Pavo Linne
    2 Species
    3 Subspecies

All birds can be eaten by man. Just depends on how ones taste is as to how good one might think them to be.
    I have raised almost all breeds of Exotic Pheasants. The only ones I have ever prepared for my table is the
    Chinese Ring-neck Pheasant, Phasiamus cholchicus torquatus.
    The reason I have not eaten any of the others is because many of them were valued $$ wise far above what I
    could sell them for as breeders in difference to table meat value.

Sadly I choose to no longer raise the birds. I do miss having them. I have one male Temminick's Tragopan mounted,
    hanging on my bedroom wall. I have tied with feathers from almost all different species I have raised but only from
    collecting moulted feathers. Peafowl males moult the entire train within 4 days.
    I do prefer using the first 4 primary feathers from a hen Black Shoulder Pea Hen, leading edge for my biots. They are almost
    white and pen dye w/Prismatic pen to whatever color I need. (I once had a beautiful trio of the Black Shoulders) The male could
    not display his fan across an eight foot wide pen. He had to turn cross ways. The herl from the Black Shoulder has a gold or Bronze
    cast of color to it.

The Pheasants of the World by Jean DelacourISBN 1-85259-138-2 My copy is a second and revised edition, 1977
    It has many color plates, info on color of males, hens & chicks. One of the best books on Pheasants ever published.

Denny
    Trade you my Jeff Foxworthy plastic-injected-molded singing bass for your old tragopan!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by AlanB View Post
    They are just large peasants. I'll not turn my nose up at free protein.
    Cheers,
    C.
    Starting August 20 I have a permit to shoot a bull moose in an area very close to home where it may be closer to "assisted suicide" than hunting... Very close to free protein, in very large quantities...

Wouldn't eating a peasant be called canibalism?

AlanB Guest

Woops! Sorry 'bout that.

hey guys,

tell you what, anything taste good if it is prepared correct and has the proper seasoning... take a ground hog for instance, if you remove the one gland immediately after shooting it, it wont taste like dirt... with a proper fire, and correct seasonings, it taste like bear.... a little greasy, but heck, poor mans bear? im all over it! lol

on a more serious note.... ive heard a couple people saying they want to get there hands on a true albino peacock... i cant seem to figure out why though.. i have one, and have never used it... i also have one dyed red ive never used....

what would be a good pattern for red or white? i cant think of any, or find any for that matter...

personally, i couldn't justify purchasing something like that specifically for color variants.... unless thats all anyone can think of(?)....

thoughts anyone?
    spoof
    if every cast caught a fish, it would be called "catching" not "fishing"

I tie PTN, Prince nymphs and Griffiths gnats using red peacock at times.
    Do you want to get rid of some of it?

Rick

sorry, ill have to decline.... you know how it goes, the second it hits the mailbox.... u have a pattern you need it for! sorry
    if every cast caught a fish, it would be called "catching" not "fishing"

+ Reply to Thread