+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Peacock herl

Hybrid View

Question Peacock herl

In viewing videos and SBS instructions that involve peacock herl I note that the quality of the herl used by the expert tiers has the tiny green barbs (?) on both sides of the little stem as it is picked from the big tail feather.
    My bundled herl has them on one side only. I get the nice two sided barbs only on the little (stems) that I find close eye on the "eye" feathers. In my opinion, these nicely adorned herls make much better looking small flies. Am I missing something or do these better tiers have unique feather sources?
    (Please excuse my improper designation of the feather parts on the peacock.)
    Thanks for your thoughts.
    Last edited by Ray Kunz; 05-01-2013 at 04:40 PM.

Blog Entries

Ray
    The stem of the feather is called the rachis (RAY-KISS) and the herlis the barb. Coming off the barb are the barbules which lock the barbs together on ordinary contour feathers.

Good herl has barbules on both sides. If you look closely at your herl you will likely see the barbules on the bare side of the barb are just very stunted.

Diet is probably the main culprit.
    art

Diet is probably the main culprit.
    art

Also genetics of the different families of Peafoul. Not all herl make good fly tying results.

If possible, hand select very carefully. This is one of the largest differences we tiers find
    in our tying materials.
    Denny

AlanB Guest

When I buy peacock I usually go for the full eye. The premium herls are the ones on either side just below the eye. They are a little shorter than further down the stem but bushier. Those are the ones I reserve for my flies. There are only 12 to 20 on an eye.

Fortunately now I know where there is a flock of peafowl so if I want feathers I just need to have a walk around there and pick some up. There is an albino one in the flock. The land owner hates them. One day we must arrange for that and one of the others to have an accident! The problem is the dominant male will not let others grow the tales we want. On the down side I don't know anyone with a big enough oven, I suppose I'll have to joint them.

Cheers,
    A.

Thanks guys for the replies confirming my thoughts. This appears to be another reason to avoid buying mailorder.

Alan. You really don't want to eat a peafowl. Nasty tasting things.
    It Just Doesn't Matter....

+ Reply to Thread