Quote Originally Posted by Denny View Post
Pheasants:
Divided into the following:
Genera = 16
Species = 49
Subspecies = 124

Genus Phasianus Linne
This is where the True Pheasant, or Game pheasant that most of us know as Ringnecks are. It is interesting that there are 13 subspecies
in this group. All will interbreed and produce fertile offspring.

Yes, Peafowls are considered Pheasants.
Genus Pavo Linne
2 Species
3 Subspecies

All birds can be eaten by man. Just depends on how ones taste is as to how good one might think them to be.
I have raised almost all breeds of Exotic Pheasants. The only ones I have ever prepared for my table is the
Chinese Ring-neck Pheasant, Phasiamus cholchicus torquatus.
The reason I have not eaten any of the others is because many of them were valued $$ wise far above what I
could sell them for as breeders in difference to table meat value.

Sadly I choose to no longer raise the birds. I do miss having them. I have one male Temminick's Tragopan mounted,
hanging on my bedroom wall. I have tied with feathers from almost all different species I have raised but only from
collecting moulted feathers. Peafowl males moult the entire train within 4 days.
I do prefer using the first 4 primary feathers from a hen Black Shoulder Pea Hen, leading edge for my biots. They are almost
white and pen dye w/Prismatic pen to whatever color I need. (I once had a beautiful trio of the Black Shoulders) The male could
not display his fan across an eight foot wide pen. He had to turn cross ways. The herl from the Black Shoulder has a gold or Bronze
cast of color to it.

The Pheasants of the World by Jean DelacourISBN 1-85259-138-2 My copy is a second and revised edition, 1977
It has many color plates, info on color of males, hens & chicks. One of the best books on Pheasants ever published.

Denny
Trade you my Jeff Foxworthy plastic-injected-molded singing bass for your old tragopan!