+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NEWS FLASH: Orvis to Buy Ross & Scientific Anglers

Default NEWS FLASH: Orvis to Buy Ross & Scientific Anglers

NEWS FLASH: Orvis to Buy Ross & Scientific Anglers
    Thought you might like to see the announcement... It should be a good new home for SA and Ross.

Orvis to Acquire the Scientific Anglers and Ross Reels Businesses from 3MPublished: May 1, 2013
    2013-05-01T14:04:51Z The Orvis Company, Inc.
    By The Orvis Company, Inc. MANCHESTER, Vt., May 1, 2013 ? /PRNewswire/ -- The Orvis Company, Inc. of Manchester, Vermont today announced it has entered into a definitive agreement to acquire the Scientific Anglers and Ross Reels businesses from 3M (NYSE:MMM). Upon completion of the transaction, Orvis plans to continue to operate the Midland, MI based business independently under the Scientific Anglers brand. Ross Reels will also continue to operate independently under its brand name from its Montrose, CO headquarters. The transaction is expected to be completed in the second quarter. Terms of the transaction were not disclosed.To view the multimedia assets associated with this release, please click http://www.prnewswire.com/news-relea...431901.html"We think both businesses have incredible opportunities to drive fly-fishing innovation well into the future," said David Perkins, Orvis Executive Vice Chairman. "Jim Lepage will move to Midland and from there he will be dedicated to running both S.A. and Ross. He and the excellent teams already in place will build these strong brands for the future. Neither consumers nor the trade will likely notice much of a difference in the branding of these fine businesses under Orvis ownership. What they will notice is renewed marketing energy, well-supported sales and service staff and an even higher level of new product innovation." "Our goal is for Scientific Anglers to be the world leader in fly lines, leaders and tippet, and for Ross to be the leading innovator in American-made fly reels," said Jim Lepage, newly appointed President of both businesses. "We plan to maintain strong investment in R&D at both businesses and we intend to bolster their sales and distribution resources here in the U.S. and build both brands internationally."Both businesses will maintain their current operations, facilities, employees and independent sales representation. Lepage will relinquish his responsibilities as Vice President of Rod & Tackle with Orvis to be fully committed to his new role as President of both businesses. Lepage is relocating to Midland, where he says he will consolidate R&D for both S.A. and Ross.Lepage said Orvis will not carry Scientific Anglers-brand fly lines in its catalog, stores or website, nor are there plans to more widely distribute Orvis products through S.A.'s established wholesale accounts. "Each brand must remain focused on being the leading innovator in their respective product categories and distribution channels," Lepage said. "Maintaining that clarity will be the key to our success."About The Orvis Company Founded in 1856, Orvis pioneered fly fishing and the mail order industry in the United States. A leading corporate steward for the environment, Orvis contributes 5% of pre-tax profits every year to protect nature. Learn more at www.orvis.com. SOURCE The Orvis Company, Inc.
    Read more here: http://www.heraldonline.com/2013/05/...#storylink=cpy

Big news! Maybe in the future, Orvis lines will be made by SA under their own label. Perhaps even Orvis might have a few Ross, made in USA, reels under their own brand name too?
    US Veteran and concerned citizen

Question

Watch these guys closely. They may follow the route of L.L, Bean that started out as a business based on outdoor sports and is now another clothing store. Orvis is already showing signs of this transition.

Sears used to sell shotguns, etc, too. So did Wal-Mart in CA, Sports Authority, etc. lots getting out of the biz. Should mean better sales for the mom and pop gun fishing stores, no?
    ‎"Trust, but verify" - Russian Proverb, as used by Ronald Reagan

I predict it will all be made overseas and be overpriced.....
    "Fishermen are born honest, but they get over it"
    Ed Zern

In spite of what the press release says, it seems like this is going to result in less competition eventually -- one less major fly line provider and one less major reel provider. That means fewer choices and less value for us consumers.

I thought Orvis lines were already made by SA. So Orvisdoesn't need to have SA lines in the catalogue under that brand name, theyalready are there with Orvis labels.

And Orvis reels used to be made by Hardy, and SA reels usedto be made by British Fly Reels. So I agree with John, if R&D is to be consolidated,and Orvis is in control, the products will start to be the same and the lessdesirable ones dropped so all that remains in 5 years are the re-branded Orvisproducts.

That time is already here. A lot of products are rebranded
    ‎"Trust, but verify" - Russian Proverb, as used by Ronald Reagan

Here's another announcement that 3M made in 2003, I believe. I wish I had had the foresight then to purchase a Charlton reel or 2, or perhaps another DB Dunn rod and reel case. 3M Scientific Anglers Acquires StreamWorksOn June 1, 3M Scientific Anglers announced it has expanded its product offerings with the acquisition of all the product lines and brands of Seattle-based StreamWorks International, Inc. StreamWorks’ holdings include DB Dun rod cases, travel luggage and packs, J.W. Outfitters, McKenzie flies and fly-tying tools, and, perhaps most notably, Charlton Outdoor Technologies fly reels. Jack Charlton will stay onboard, contributing his years of experience in fly reel research and development.
    3M Scientific Anglers also takes over worldwide distribution of Dohitomi Hooks, Rainy's Flies, Borger Media, and C&F Design fly boxes and fly-fishing accessories in North and South America.
    Bruce Richards, with Scientific Anglers for more than twenty years and also involved in the Federation of Fly Fishers and a board member of the American Fly Fishing Tackle Association (AFFTA), sees the acquisition as a benefit that goes beyond just Scientific Anglers and its retail partners. "We can provide the resources of 3M to the acquired products to make them even better," said Richards, "plus, we now have additional expertise through the likes of Jeff Wieringa, Jack Charlton and Dan Baumgardner to bring new innovations to the Scientific Anglers product line."

913 Jackson Lake Rd, Chatsworth, Ga. 30705 (423) 438-1060

I never knew that Orvis actually 'made' anything. I thought they just bought stuff and put their name on it. Almost all of my fly rods and reels are SA. I hope it's not going to be like Schwinn Bicycles. Instead of Pacific Cycles (China) making better low-end cycles, they now make really cheap, shoddy Schwinns to sell in Walmart. I hope Orvis will come out with better SA equipment, rather than put the SA and Orvis name on cheap Asian-made junk. We already have South Bend for that (my first fly rod....).

+ Reply to Thread