Quote Originally Posted by whatfly View Post
Echo Ion is a reasonable reel, but it only comes with a 1 year warranty, which I'm not that crazy about, but the price point is good. Allen is a newcomer and while some like it, I've yet to meet anyone who has really tested one against largish fish. The Orvis Mid Arbor is a relatively affordable disk drag, and for me has been reliable on larger fish (steelhead). Lamsons are nice but they are slow to pick up line (i.e. when in a drift boat) so I tend to avoid them although I still use my 1st gen Velocity for Lahontans in the 28"+ range, steelhead, and stripers.
Echo Ion has just a one year warranty... but no one I know has needed to use it... The Ross FlyStart has a lifetime warranty and they will honor it... But all you will get is another FlyStart. If the Ions are being used for really large trout and salmon on the Kenai River without issue (they are) I guarantee they will work better than any Ross.

I would take an Ion without a warranty after seeing their proven perfomance here if money is the central issue.

I have zero vested interest in Echo and do not stand to benefit in any way from the company.