+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Economical Premium Reel Advice

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by whatfly View Post
    Echo Ion is a reasonable reel, but it only comes with a 1 year warranty, which I'm not that crazy about, but the price point is good. Allen is a newcomer and while some like it, I've yet to meet anyone who has really tested one against largish fish. The Orvis Mid Arbor is a relatively affordable disk drag, and for me has been reliable on larger fish (steelhead). Lamsons are nice but they are slow to pick up line (i.e. when in a drift boat) so I tend to avoid them although I still use my 1st gen Velocity for Lahontans in the 28"+ range, steelhead, and stripers.
    Echo Ion has just a one year warranty... but no one I know has needed to use it... The Ross FlyStart has a lifetime warranty and they will honor it... But all you will get is another FlyStart. If the Ions are being used for really large trout and salmon on the Kenai River without issue (they are) I guarantee they will work better than any Ross.

I would take an Ion without a warranty after seeing their proven perfomance here if money is the central issue.

I have zero vested interest in Echo and do not stand to benefit in any way from the company.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bluegill View Post
    I found some Ross Rhythm reels on clearance a few years back...great reels with solid drags. There are other discontinued Ross reels on clearance if you search the web. Buy Ross...made in Colo, USA.
    Those clearance models have huge issues with the drag systems. The mechanism to change from LH to RH wind is a simple dial/lever inside the frame. Under pressure the drag components will stick very slightly. When you start to reel in the sticky drag surfaces may stay together just long enough to disengage the drag completely. Suddenly you have a large fish and absolutely no drag.

Ross should not be selling those reels at any price...

So, reading the posts from just the first page alone there are over a dozen recommendations. I stopped there. Does that tell you anything?

Quote Originally Posted by Allan View Post
    So, reading the posts from just the first page alone there are over a dozen recommendations. I stopped there. Does that tell you anything?
    Yes, that there are a lot of great reels at any price point and everyone has a favorite.
    I think I am going to go with an orvis, they've never steered me wrong and i just picked up one of their clearwater 10 footers, for the price I don't think anything compares.
    The lamson was the most recommended but also the most maligned, some research there appears to be some complaints about it.
    All the other companies have only sporadic recommendations/complaint (i.e. allen, okuma, redington, tfo etc). Ross is out since the ross I had was a bust.
    Other option is hardy.
    I am also trying to decide if the orvis clearwater reel is a good choice (although noone has mentioned it)

I know this may be a bit late but consider the Nautilus FWX reels. Made in the USA, super HD drag and very well made (machined), Lifetime Warranty. They are a bit more money however I believe they are worth it.
    "I Never Saw A Wild Thing Sorry For Itself, A Bird Will Fall Frozen Dead From A Bough, Without Ever Having Felt Sorry For Itself."

Blog Entries

I gave my son a St Croix Bank Robber for Christmas and asked for an Ion for it. They were out of that size Ion and I had waited too long to order one... I opted for another, much more expensive (Galvan Torque), though there were plenty of other brands available at the Ion price point... Just an FYI for the OP.

The Torque was discounted because the shop had more than he wanted to carry through the season...

Thought they fixed this? I seem to remember having to replace some parts in my Rhythms a while back, and I have not seen any problems since. While I don't quite get to test them as hard as Hap does, they've performed well on steelhead to 30", so I've been happy with them. That being said, I've given up on Ross with their new lines completely. A real shame considering what a reliable company they used to be.

I have fought stripers who peeled off a fly line and 75 yards of backing on old school Click & Pawl, standard arbor reels and had no problems fighting them. Granted it take two hands if you are gonna hold the rod and palm/pinch a reel's spool, but it is a whole lot more exciting BEING the drag mechanism than merely just one handing a hot fish until he quits running. It ain't the reel, but rather the fisherman who completes the fight! A softer rod; ie old school, low modulous graphite, fiberglass or bamboo put the fight to a fish, and absorb much more of the pressure. Besides, nothing sings like a Hardy LRH and a hot fish peeling line!
    US Veteran and concerned citizen

Quote Originally Posted by chewydog View Post
    Get a Lamson and don't look back. And, we need pics of the falling out of the boat episode for rating purposes.
    Thankfully the camera wasn't out yet for that!

Blog Entries

I like the Bass Pro Hobbs Creek reels. Cast aluminum, disc drag. Just redneck enough to make people turn up their noses and scoff at them. On the other hand, I own several, none of which have EVER failed in any way, including on a fish. I have landed thousands of trout and several hundred steelhead on them. No complaints. And 40 bucks, so you can buy reels instead of extra spools.

Then again, the largest fish I have landed on a fly rod (47# chinook), so far, was caught on a clicker reel, and I would not hesitate to do it again. I see absolutely no need to spend a couple hundred dollars on a high end reel for trout.

and so on, and so on...

+ Reply to Thread