Quote Originally Posted by herefishy View Post
I wish Hairwing would chime in on this - I remember Scott collecting money for him, and wonder now if he ever got it. I was fortunate, sent him money for a camp tool that I finally got.
(sigh) This is something I word-for-word posted to Washingtonflyfishing.com:

Hey guys.. wanted to check in.

Ole Scott Martin scammed PAflyfish.com's members to the tune of about $1100. How do I know this? I was part of his scam.

Not by choice. No, basically he let out his sob story when selling a gift card (likely ill gotten), and I decided to white knight and help him visit his dying daughter with cancer before her big surgery.

So, I started a drive to raise money, and within a short time frame I got weird feelings the way he was "selling" his cause to people. Shortly at the end of my goal, Scott got grabby with the money and I basically just sent it on wishing to wash my entire hands of the enterprise.

Shortly after the truth came out. I was, fortunatly, able to return some money in checks, but despite promises of returnign all the PayPal money, Scott scammed everyone out of their cash, to say nothing of my ability to show my face on that forum again.

A despicable, terrible human who's willing to lie about his daughter having cancer, as well as duty to the country.

Furthermore, I see there's some question about Orvis equipment. Scott's original story started when he claimed to be selling a gift card obtained from Orvis for returning a rod. During the saga of my own fund raising thread, a major representive from Orvis came in and offered Scott a brand new replacement rod for the one he supposedly traded in, IIRC a Superfine Touch 2wt (but my memory sucks). Shortly afterwards, the supposedly destitute Mr. Martin was discovered on ultralightflyfishing.com trying to drum up a reel to match.

Scott was also quite famous for posting a rather lovely bamboo rod from PHW, handmade with adorned with the equvilent of his ribbons earned. That rod was on the selling block of PAflyfish, or for trade for a kayak, at some point abotu a month or so before the big blow out.

Anyways. THought I'd give you some more fuel.

--