+ Reply to Thread

Thread: dissolve epxoy?

Default dissolve epxoy?

I got some epoxy on the reel seat and cannot move the bottom ring. I have tried heat from a hair dryer for 35 minutes and that did not loosen the epoxy.

What is the best solution to use to disolve the epoxy?

Rick

[This message has been edited by Rick Z (edited 02 March 2005).]

Acetone is about the only thing that will touch it, but it will also disolve just about any kind of varnish, paint or plastic too.
    AgMD

I don't know of anything that would eat epoxy and not damage the rest of the rod. The heat thing usually works, but it can take several cycles of heat/cool to break the bond. It takes heat over 200 degrees F to get at most epoxies, prehaps the hair dryer isn't strong enough?

You might also try a combination of heat and extreme cold. Try heating it up then rubbing it with a piece of dry ice.

You could make a 'ferrule puller' device to give you a better grip on things. This is a block of wood with a hole drilled in it of the same diameter (or slightlty smaller) than the metal ring. Cut the wood in half thru the center of the hole and add some thru bolts to make it into a clamp. Build one for the ring and one for the reel seat and you will have a lot more force. You could even add some threaded rods and nuts between the two blocks and turn it onto a sort of 'wheel puller' tool.

I use a industrial heat gun, continously variable temp from 100 F to 3000 F, it's actuall hot enough that you can solder copper pipe with it! A setting somwhere around 350 F and lots of time has work for me so far.

Rick, I have had the same thing happen and I use heat to loosen the epoxy. I have also used heat to remove reelseats. I took a porcelan light fisture and mounted it in the bottom of my drying cabinet and put a 150 watt light bulb in it. When I need to remove a reelseat, I simple sit the reel seat on the top of the light bulb for a few minutes and it comes right off. a heat gun will do the job as well but I doubt the hair dryer will generate enough heat to get the job done.

Put it in boiling wayter in a plastic bag.
    Got the reel seat off and all the parts are seperate. Now to work to get the bottom ring free to go up the screw post.

Rick

+ Reply to Thread