+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dyeing... To Figure it Out!

Blog Entries

Default Dyeing... To Figure it Out!

Just had my usual flop trying to put color into whole guinea skins... Used Rit and the bath looks orange, while the feathers look to be a weak yellow-olive instead of the desired bright orange...

Used salt for mordant, but the color did not take, so I have to believe vinegar would not have been any better.

My last success was with Tulip brand fabric dye and it did a fantastic job with purple. Enough so I thought I had things figured out. Right now I am back to square one because Tulip was not available in the desired colors...

I washed the skins in hot water and dishsoap, followed by a 15-minute soak in TSP, another wash in soapy water, and a rinse before putting them in the very hot dye bath. Maybe I should see if I can find red and yellow Tulip...

Any suggestions would be appreciated...

Hap,

PM sent.

Regards,
    Scott

http://www.flyanglersonline.com/flytying/dyingmaterial/
    Art, you will find that the Vinegar is needed after cleaning with dish soap. The vinegar does remove it if added to hot rinse water.
    The above link is an article Mr Smith from England did for us several years ago. He is a master at dying hackle and seal.
    Even though finding Veniards might be hard and maybe a bit pricey, does work far better than Rit or Kool aid.
    I have had very good experience with using Veniards.

Denny

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ScottP View Post
    Hap,

PM sent.

Regards,
    Scott
    Scott
    PM returned,
    thanks!
    art

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Denny View Post
    http://www.flyanglersonline.com/flytying/dyingmaterial/
    Art, you will find that the Vinegar is needed after cleaning with dish soap. The vinegar does remove it if added to hot rinse water.
    The above link is an article Mr Smith from England did for us several years ago. He is a master at dying hackle and seal.
    Even though finding Veniards might be hard and maybe a bit pricey, does work far better than Rit or Kool aid.
    I have had very good experience with using Veniards.

Denny
    Denny
    Thanks for the link! I am trying to dye quite a bit more material than that system will do in a reasonable amount of time... And that may be the problem. Last time I put skins on the stove I cooked them far too effectively...

Is purple just an easier color to achieve? I got three great skins in one batch last time and had a ton of extra feathers thrown in... And an overnight soak in flowing water showed no loss of color in over 12 hours.

The orange Rit attempt is pathetic...
    art

Flydyes.com is the best dye and the most colors for dying feathers, vinegar helps to activate the dying process . I have dried thousands of feathers with this stuff and it WORKS. Rite gives a muddy color Kool aid is not strong enough. Wash feathers with dawn dish wash detergent and spray with 10 present bleach for just a minute ,rinse good. Dye . Use white vinegar in dye mixture and then rinse and use a vinegar bath to set the color. I used a blow dryer to dry feather but skin takes longer to dry air dry skin.
    Last edited by billyspey; 04-29-2013 at 01:56 AM.

Can anyone suggest a source for Veniards or flydyes? I tried flydyes.com and it was blanc.

AlanB Guest

Veniards only sell wholesale to the trade. I'll make enquiries for you, but with recent increase in postage charges here the price will double on a single pot! Sending a pot of "mud" (Tippet degreasant) went up from ?0.90 to ?3.00 just to give you an idea, and that's just domestic. The dyes are about ?4.50 each (about $6.75), but you will need to be ordering quite a few to make it worth while.

Stop press. Just spoken with a contact who has a Veniards account. He may be able to help. I'll PM you.

Cheers,
    A.

Cheers,
    A,

The Veniard dyes are top notch, Art, but a very decent alternative are the tubs of Dylon fabric dye.

Cheers,
    Hans W
    ===================== You have a Friend in Low Places ======================
    Hans Weilenmann, The Netherlands
    http://www.flytierspage.com
    ================================================== ==============

Quote Originally Posted by dogsnfish View Post
    Can anyone suggest a source for Veniards or flydyes? I tried flydyes.com and it was blanc.
    when I googled it this AM it came up fly dyes.com or organic dyestuff .com

+ Reply to Thread