+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Vintage Martin Model 60?

Hybrid View

1602 NE 180th Ter Smithville MO 64089-9120.

Default Vintage Martin Model 60?

Would this reel be a bit small for a 7 foot 3 piece 4wt?

Certainly would be light enough. Once upon a time - 20 years ago? - I flew to Michigan for a planned visit and to take in a fishing trip to the Au Sable River. Packed a bag for check-in, had a little hang-over-the -shoulder carry aboard. Also took my two piece 8' 5wt (enclosed in a special travel tube just made for travel) and checked that in with the big bag. What happened next was not all that uncommon for air travel ... I arrived but who knows where the checked in bag and the rod tube went (had one of those change plane/airline trips!). Anyway, the fishing trip was planned for the next morning and so I made a special trip to a local K-Mart to buy trousers, a sweat shirt and a Martin 8' 5/6wt rod kit that came with rod, reel, line, backing; and the reel was a Martin Model 60.

Turned out to be a good fishing trip and I was pleasantly surprised how well that inexpensive 3-piece rod performed. I've had a couple other Martin reels over the years but they were more upscale then the Model 60. But the bottom line to your question is the reel worked for that 5/6wt rod & line so I should think it to be adequate for the 4wt, certainly light weight enough and the right size.

If it's going on that sweet new bamboo rod, cool choice! Just please don't stick some turquoise and coral-colored large arbor technological monstrosity on it !
    There have never in history been so many opportunities to do so many things that aren't worth doing. - William Gaddis

1602 NE 180th Ter Smithville MO 64089-9120.

Quote Originally Posted by Prairieschooner View Post
    Just please don't stick some turquoise and coral-colored large arbor technological monstrosity on it !
    Never got a Martin 62 on the way also with a New Cortland 444 4wt Sylk Line mustard colored. Old school with a twist?

Quote Originally Posted by Icemanxxxv View Post
    Never got a Martin 62 on the way also with a New Cortland 444 4wt Sylk Line mustard colored. Old school with a twist?
    Sweet!!!!!
    There have never in history been so many opportunities to do so many things that aren't worth doing. - William Gaddis

+ Reply to Thread