+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Wet Adult Damsel with thanks to Mr Scott.

Hybrid View

AlanB Guest

Default Wet Adult Damsel with thanks to Mr Scott.

Reading about how much large trout like an adult damsel fly, and how they take them sup surface I thought I need to try a wet adult damsel fly. What to try though? The thought process was to ask what features will the fish be keying onto? Wings I didn't think would be hugely significant (unless the naturals are the ones with black wings with a blue stripe along the edge). So I'd want something for a wing, but not to heavy. Then the colour and size of the body. That has to be the major factor. So what materials do I have in iridescent blue, and how can I use them? Two things came to mind, holographic tinsel and Crystal flash. How to use them?

That's when John's FEB flies came to mind. This is the result.
    [/URL]
    The front one is fine holographic tinsel and the rear lighter one Crystal Flash.

Thanks John.
    Cheers,
    A.

AlanB Guest

Thanks John,

You got the credit as I thought of your flies when thinking of the technique, though I have used it previously with dubbing loops.

The wing is Organza Ribbon Fibres teased out. What I normally throw away from the middle of the ribbon when tying the Ribbon Caddis Pupa.

Now they will sit in a corner of my box until I see a damsel fly this summer.

Cheers,
    A.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by AlanB View Post
    Thanks John,

You got the credit as I thought of your flies when thinking of the technique, though I have used it previously with dubbing loops.

The wing is Organza Ribbon Fibres teased out. What I normally throw away from the middle of the ribbon when tying the Ribbon Caddis Pupa.

Now they will sit in a corner of my box until I see a damsel fly this summer.

Cheers,
    A.
    Aside from grayling, we are remarkably short on amazing dry fly fishing in AK... We get some, but spoiled as we are we tend to discount it. Hitting a damsel hatch "exactly" right up here will possibly be a life-changing event... The intensity of the strike coupled with the sheer abandon the rainbows show is simply amazing. And pike do not pass up the bright blue bugs, either...

Just remembering some better days literally gives me goose bumps!

Funny thing is when people try to count how many fish they caught in a mad rise... and find they cannot do it. And I am adamantly NOT a counter... Cracks me up...

+ Reply to Thread