+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Salmonflies !!

Lightbulb Salmonflies !!

Yesterday, it seemed a bit early in the season to fish ...

... but that is a decision best left to the fishies ...

Had another half dozen pretty much like those two in hand before the last one decided to break the tippet while I was preparing to remove the hook and take the last FEB Salmonfly I had in the fly box back to his trophy room.

A few more fishies were so excited to see the big fly that they jumped completely out of the water to get a better look, and missed it on the way down.

So the fishies thought it was a good decision.

For the "step by step" follow the link to the FOTW article from '09. The only changes in the fly since that article are that I typically tie it on a hopper hook and have gone to Montana Fly Company size small speckled orange centipede legs for all the appendages.

http://www.flyanglersonline.com/fotw...tw20100607.php

This has been the only Salmonfly pattern I've fished the past five years. On quite a few streams and rivers here in the Intermountain West and Northern Rockies. An acquaintance, to whom I gave a few last year, had the nerve to go catch a couple steelhead on one of them.

John
    The fish are always right.

Wow,

Looks great!

John that is a very good fly compared to the real thing, nice tying. I'm going to tie a smaller size, maybe 12 and 14 to try on the Chattooga River. I have done well with a caddis tied with a orange color body in size 12 and your fly looks like it will ride higher on the water than the caddis.

it is time. I am headed your way.
    Please, support Project Healing Waters....Thank You

With all those boats in the water someone has to catch one if only by mistake. I try my best to avoid fishing on days with a lot of traffic on the water.

+ Reply to Thread