+ Reply to Thread

Thread: What is this Winston Bamboo worth?

Default What is this Winston Bamboo worth?

I have a 2 piece 9' R.L. Winston Bamboo fly rod that was given to me in the early fifties by Leonard S. Williams, a former president of the American Casting Association (then the National Association of Angling and Casting Clubs). Winston presented it to him when he was president in the early 50s. He and I used it in casting tournaments. The serial number for both sections is 7790. His name along with patent numbers is written on the butt section. The rod is in great shape, as its never been fishing. There are two slightly bent guides, but other than that, its in great shape. I keep it in the original Winston bag. Does anyone have any idea what it might be worth to a collector or a fisherman? Thanks.
    I flyfish the salt because the voices in my head tell me to...

You might try posting on Clarks Board at [url=http://www.fishcane.com:9627f]www.fishcane.com[/url:9627f] Appraisals section

Bamboo collectors would pay you a nice price for your Winston rod. I would advise you to take some good quality pictures of it, then Email Clark and ask him to appraise it for you, then send him the pictures. Most folks get a little upset with someone just sending pictures to them and filling their e-mail without asking permission to do so first. Clark is a good an honest man, and will properly assess your rod. Sante Guiliani (and I certainly do hope I spelled his name correctly) is another expert in bamboo whose opinion I value very highly. He goes by Fishnbanjo and has a very nice homepage devoted to his love of the Lovely Reed.

Hands on evluation is probably the best for getting to the heart of the value of your rod. Depending on where you are, there are probably some experts close by that would be thrilled to help you with determining it's value.

Y'all

Thanks for the excellent advice. I will contact Clark and go from there.

BTW, I have been lurking on this site for a long time, having been introduced to it by QRR, who is one of the best fly fishermen I know. We live in the same town and fish together.

I have been fishing and tying flies for well over 50 years, so now you know that I'm just an old coot. Started tournament casting at the ripe old age of 14, and moved on from there.

Was a trout and bass fisherman for years, and when I moved to the Gulf Coast, started a charter boat business (thankfully out of the business now), and started learning the fine art of fishing the salt, both blue water and the bays.

Am finally old enough to see all the stuff I DON'T know about fly fishing, casting, and tying flies. A real learning experience. But I will hang in there and when I'm 100 plus, I'll probably feel that maybe I'm starting to get the hang of it all...

What a great site y'all have here. Glad I joined and look forward to meeting the crowd, learning a lot, and hopefully add in my 2-cents worth now and then.

caibill
    I flyfish the salt because the voices in my head tell me to...

+ Reply to Thread