Allen,

" in the Catskill Rivers the fish get on the duns and the spinners as early as when the fog lifts in the morning.",Your quote.

Locally the duns hatch at or before daybreak, and I gave up long ago trying to fish the hatch since the fish seemed uninterested. I'm sure they conditioned themselves to the massive spinner fall and were willing to wait. Here around Denver the mating occurs soon after the sun comes over the ridges allowing the flies to dry their wings. Fish activity starts shortly and goes on for about an hour to sometimes two hours, so it's fast and furious. Most fish porpoise right under the surface or move to shallow water to feed rather than rising up and down from a three or four foot deep holding spot expending too much energy.

94840 #28's are small and when the hatch starts to peter out and the flies reach this size seems only the smaller fish are eating them. Signals time for new tactics for me.

John,

No I haven't tried them without tails. Never occurred to me since what I've been using works more than ok with me.

I was addressing the OP in which johnstoeckel relates that Ramsay states...."that Trico spinners should be tied without tails." Seemed pretty dogmatic when in my experience I had no trouble with the tails, so I thought I would express my opinion. This micro-drag concept related to tails in my way of thinking is a little far fetched.