I probably havefished for smallies more that trout, and agree with all the listed suggestions. As for flies, I will add a few, especially given the time of year you arefishing.
One is astandard Little Brown Trout bucktail. I know Clousers have been mentioned, andI use them too, but like the Muddler, sometimes a minnow that doesn't sink asfar is the answer - and also works with a sink-tip line. Similarly, Zonkers areeffective. Note that early in the season (at least in my area) bass attackschools of perch fry that hatched about 6 weeks earlier which are white andonly about 1.25" long (size 10 or 12 hook is fine – see PukeFly, it can be very effective without the bead-chain eyes too). The fry collectin the top inches of warmer water and are easily seen by the bass in theevening when the water is calm and the sun is low.
And lastly, smallies seem to like lures moving faster than you would expect. Several times I have worked an area for 20 minutes or so and then decided topaddle on. When the canoe/kayak is fully up to tempo and the line stretched outbehind me ... bang - that is when I get a fish. Good luck and have fun!