+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Favorite Dry Fly Hook for Trout Flies

Default Favorite Dry Fly Hook for Trout Flies

I'm posting this even though it goes against something I've said about flies and fly tying. That is, 'If you only had 1 ________(fill in the blank)"
    In this case I'm asking, "If you could only have one make and model dry fly hook (yes, various sizes but talking about flies for Trout) which one would it be and why?" Oh, there is no correct answer so let's just read what others have to say without any rebuke. And let's limit this to commercially available hooks.

Allan

Same as I'd use for wets -- Mustad R50.
    Bob

If I only had one, Allan, then I would pick the Tiemco 102Y. For me it ticks all the boxes for a general purpose dry fly hook.

Cheers,
    Hans W
    ===================== You have a Friend in Low Places ======================
    Hans Weilenmann, The Netherlands
    http://www.flytierspage.com
    ================================================== ==============

I like the 102Y Tiemco, too.

Daiichi 1180 for me
    Mart

AlanB Guest

I really can't say. The hook is one of the most important decisions when I try to imitate something I have seen. As a result I use all kinds, Many which are not considered dry fly hooks. I've even tied them on tubes. The brand I've found most reliable is Tempco, but they are some of the most expensive here. Recently the price has gone up 20% (they reduced the number of hooks in a pack from 25 to 20). That has made them prohibitively expensive for me. Now I only use them by customer request or if I pick up a pack that's reduced. Variety is the spice of life after all.
    Cheers,
    A.

Blog Entries

A tossup between a TMC 100BL and a 900BL. I would lean towards the 900, since most of my dries are small.

Alan, I get mine at Madison River Fishing Company in Ennis, MT. No sales tax, 100-packs. Still not cheap, but the cost of hooks is a small part of what I pay to flyfish every year.

[QUOTE=Hans Weilenmann;479057]If I only had one, Allan, then I would pick the Tiemco 102Y. For me it ticks all the boxes for a general purpose dry fly hook.

Cheers,
    Hans W[/QUO

AGREE !,

Okay, now I have to answer my own question and I'm going with the Mustad R50(94840). Overall effectiveness, very nice shape, good quality, sharpness, weight and price. I will say that although I've never used one, the Tiemco 102Y is really impressive looking but it comes with a hefty pricetag.

Allan

Hi Allan,

Currently I use older Mustad 94840s for most of my standard dries, and Mustad 94831s for long flies like hoppers and hex dries. I use Mustad 9672s for stonefly dries, just because I got started tying them that way many years ago. If I had it to do over, I would tie the stones on 94831s too.

If limited to only one hook I probably would choose old Mustad 94840s. (I have quite a few of them, but not in really large sizes.)

The first problem with the old Mustads is current availablity, you can only pick them up here and there on sites like Ebay. I know they are available to at least size #4 and on the small end to smaller sizes than I plan ever to use.

The second problem with the 94840s, or newer R-50s is length. They are too short, in my views, for optimal tying of long dries like hoppers and stoneflies. Still, if only one choice it would be 94840s.

However, given the availablity problems, I would probably go with Mustad R-50s if I were to start over.

Regards,

Gandolf

+ Reply to Thread