+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Favorite Dry Fly Hook for Trout Flies

Default Hy hook of choice

I'll vote for Eagle Claw L059. The quality is acceptable. The cost is lower.
    And they are made in the U.S.A. What more do you want?

I have accrued a large number of vintage 94840's and 94845's. I have many hooks but they are my go to hooks

Ray, your points are all good points. I have thought about the Eagle Claws, and in the past guys who have mentioned using them say that they are good hooks.

I have used Mustads so long, and have so many on hand that there is no turning back, but if I had to start completely over would consider Eagle Claw hooks. Made in the U.S.A. is a good endorsement. I think the quality of stuff made in this country is generally first rate.

No problem with Mustad, and I will continue to use them, but again it is too late for me to turn back. For that reason if I ever run out of 94840s, I will probably look at the new Mustad replacement for the 94840, just to stay consistent.

Again, however, if I were to choose a replacement for my Mustads, it would almost certainly be Eagle Claw.

Regards.

Gandolf

John,

I so agree and I was very reluctant to pose that question. However, there were several threads with many posts where similar fly patterns were tyed on a variety of hooks, and then there were threads which discussed hooks, so I just thought I'd ask that limiting question. Of course the question is purely hypothetical and holds no value to anyone who's tyed for years. Over those years, we who fit that bill very likely have accumulated numerous brands of hooks having the same application. Maybe some of the 'newbees' can answer the question because they've only used one thus far. But even then the lack of exposure does not allow for any reasonable comparison.
    Again, not a valid question just a curious one for which there is no correct answer.

Quote Originally Posted by Gandolf View Post
    Hi Allan,

The second problem with the 94840s, or newer R-50s is length. They are too short, in my views, for optimal tying of long dries like hoppers and stoneflies. Still, if only one choice it would be 94840s.

However, given the availablity problems, I would probably go with Mustad R-50s if I were to start over.
    Gandy,

I've read that the new R50's -94840s are shorter than the original. Can you confirm?

Thanks,

Steven

A tossup between a TMC 100BL and a 900BL for me too... I tend to buy the 100BL more because it is what is most predominately available at the fly shop I use. But, they are pretty much interchangeable.

Hi Steven,

I have enought 94840s that I have not had reason to buy any of the new R-50s. However, like you, I would really like to know if the new R-50s differ significantly from the old 94840s.

I hope someone will chime in and let us know.

Thanks and regards,

Gandolf

Quote Originally Posted by Gandolf View Post
    I have enought 94840s that I have not had reason to buy any of the new R-50s. However, like you, I would really like to know if the new R-50s differ significantly from the old 94840s.
    Gandolf,

I cannot comment on shank length difference yae or nae. What I can say is the R50 has a neatly formed eye, a small and shallow cut barbe and a less fragile hook point

Cheers,
    Hans W
    ===================== You have a Friend in Low Places ======================
    Hans Weilenmann, The Netherlands
    http://www.flytierspage.com
    ================================================== ==============

+ Reply to Thread