+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Office build / new aquarium project

Upper section is now done. Used two shades of gray followed by white highlights on the edges and raised portions. Have also started on the lower half as well.

Not much done, but now that I'm back from fishing I did work a bit on the lower part of the wall tonight.

Do you do house calls?
    Mike

I made this for the new office build and thought you guys might enjoy seeing it. Last week while at my cabin on a fishing trip I was picking up some of the downed trees and limbs that came down over the winter when I noticed a pretty cool looking dried out stump. When I see things like that I get all sorts of thoughts of things to make out of it swimming around in my head so I tossed it in the trunk before we headed back home. I ended up making this out of it. Basic idea of what I did was I made the base out of carved foam and then drylock coated it gray, glued some river rocks and branches, leaves and various things to make it look like a river log jam. Mounted the stump and then varnished and minwax clear urethane coated it. Mounted a 13" Rainbow trout fiberglass repo mount (from bass pro shops) and put a streamer with line in its mouth. Came out pretty cool and fits right in with the new office theme.

Looks good.I've done them with plexi mounted 3/4 up the stump varnished to the bottom,dry above,at the water surface.Steve,as always,great job

Been trying to juggle rod orders and office build along with yard work and other things, could use about 10 more hours in each day it seems, but have got some more done on the office/tank this week. It's really starting to look like something now.

The wall around the aquarium is now done and just have some more detail work to do to it now (such as adding more foliage, moss, vines to give it a very realistic look). Just have to build in a door next to it now and then continue the rock wall over the door so it is not a visible doorway.

I picked up a desk and cabinet over the weekend for $35. They were two separate pieces but I removed a couple parts, leveled them out and screwed them together so it is now one 6'6" wide unit. The wood color as well as the top were a perfect match for the floor/wood in the office. Couldn't have lucked out any better by finding this for so cheap. I also snagged the grey office chair today off Craigslist for only $20

Still have a bit more trim/detail work to do on the stairs but the stairway&stairs are now cleaned, painted and green carpeted runner installed on the stairs.

My grandfathers end table I refinished

I also started on the ceiling. Decided to go with 1 x 4 wood planks and stain them in Red Oak color stain then coated with Min wax spar varnish. These are two of the planks drying.

I cannot see myself sitting at that desk and staring at the fish and getting any work done!!! : )

Another fantastic job well done.......
    Warren
    Fly fishing and fly tying are two things that I do, and when I am doing them, they are the only 2 things I think about. They clear my mind.

Thanks Warren.

Starting to install the ceiling now. You'll notice I changed the stain color, the first one was a bit too redish for me. I like the cabin/lodge/rustic look of this one now.

Been working tonight on adding detail to the rock wall now. In the words of Axle Rose....Welcome to the jungle!

Blog Entries

wow beautiful just beautiful. about the tank are you going to pit trout in there? i know some places will let you have them as long as you don't release them to the wild. could be a fly testing section lol

+ Reply to Thread