+ Reply to Thread

Thread: a tip

Hybrid View

Default a tip

Here is a tip: use a scud or a midge imitation. They are food for fish that is around 365 days a year.
    "As far down the river as he could see, the trout were rising, making circles on the surface of the water, as though it were starting to rain."- E.H., The Big Two Hearted River

I consistently take good fish, year round, in Eastern Sierra tail waters using these:

I am currently working on another 18 Midge patterns...I kinda' like 'em...

PT/TB
    Last edited by planettrout; 04-25-2013 at 02:50 PM.
    Daughter to Father, "How many arms do you have, how many fly rods do you need?"
    http://planettrout.wordpress.com/

PT,

I swear you must be related to my buddy Dean. He has fly box after fly box filled with midges. Nothing over size 18.

His favorite..."the Miracle Nymph"

I love lookin' in fly boxes.
    "As far down the river as he could see, the trout were rising, making circles on the surface of the water, as though it were starting to rain."- E.H., The Big Two Hearted River

SOMEBODY has busy hands don't they? Nice work and pretty flies

Well, those are just beautiful. I wish I had the patience for 18s.
    My bluegill box has a grand total of 12 flies, three poppers, three Boudreaux's, three soft hackles and three worms.
    That pretty much tells the tale of the difference between species... and tippet size.
    "So many people are out there doing things they call environmentalism, but only because it's politically correct or has a lot of cache."

CB,

Back up to my original post...you certainly fish with one of the flies I suggested. Your three Boudreaux's are a pretty good imitation for..." a Scud" !

As for patience tying #18's, I don't know, I think you can do it. 18 is a relatively large size midgewise. Just takes tying a few up. Try some Miracle nymphs or a Brassie.

All species of fish eat scud and midges.

+ Reply to Thread