It is my understanding that Crappie also are somewhat limited in the prey that they can eat because their mouth isn't wide enough to easily swallow a 3-4 inch sunfish. Therefore, they need to be limited to large bodies of water where shiners thrive and act as a food supply for the crappie. Otherwise, the crappie end up targeting small bass that are long and thin enough to fit into their mouths. I live on a beautiful 50 acre lake where well intentioned people have release crappie but there numbers are not too bad. That said this evening I was fishing and my neighbor down the lake informed me that they just stocked the lake with black crappie and Georgia Giant hybrid bream. The person in charge of "managing" the lake is not a fisherman and has no fisheries biology background so I'm guessing he just went on someone's opinion; perhaps the guy selling him the fish. I'm very unhappy about the crappie and I have mixed feelings about the hybrid bream. This lake is already a terrific bream fishery where I can catch 11-13 inch bream on any given spring or summer evening. Looks like I'll have to start targeting crappie and thin them out as fast as I can. Jim Smith