+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Crappie v/s bluegill in a farm pond?

I would ask the Dept of Natural Resources, or whatever they are called in your state. I know here in Iowa if you are going to stock a pond they are very helpful in providing what species and quantities you should stock.

Just my 2 cents.
    " If a man is truly blessed, he returns home from fishing to the best catch of his life." Christopher Armour

Quote Originally Posted by bobbyg View Post
    ... if you were stocking a 2 to 3 acre pond with either bluegills or crappies and largemouth bass, which
    sunfish would you stock (that is if the crappie is indeed a sunfish)?
    Way too small for crappie, IMO. Stick with bass and bream.

4get crappie!

I fish many smal ponds that are stocked with crappie, gill, and bass. I do not put a crappie back in the water when I am fishing the ponds.
    I have many land owners that have set rules for the pond where bass over 14 inches do not come out of the pond. This helps thin the panfish herd.
    I will return gills over 10 inches back into the pond. Want those genetics.
    Three of my favorite ponds get from 400 to 500 panfish a year taken out of them.
    Fish size is still increasing and the numbers of fish have not decreased.
    There are 4 to 6 pound bass in the ponds also.
    It will take about four years of removing small crappie before the size increases alot. This also depends on bass being left in.
    Hope this does more than muddy the water.
    Rick

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Z View Post
    I fish many smal ponds that are stocked with crappie, gill, and bass. I do not put a crappie back in the water when I am fishing the ponds.
    I have many land owners that have set rules for the pond where bass over 14 inches do not come out of the pond. This helps thin the panfish herd.
    I will return gills over 10 inches back into the pond. Want those genetics.
    Three of my favorite ponds get from 400 to 500 panfish a year taken out of them.
    Fish size is still increasing and the numbers of fish have not decreased.
    There are 4 to 6 pound bass in the ponds also.
    It will take about four years of removing small crappie before the size increases alot. This also depends on bass being left in.
    Hope this does more than muddy the water.
    Rick
    Can I come visit, can I, can I??? Puleezeeee... That's a great deal you got, enjoy it

Let me know when.
    Go to your country conservation office ( or equivelqant).
    They have maps that you can look at to see where ponds are.
    Can check plot maps to see who owns the land.

Rick

Thanks for all the thoughts and good info.

Will go with my first inclination....bluegills and largemouths.
    And yes, our local farm agents here in NC can be of great help!
    When you can arrange your affairs to go fishing, forget all the signs, homilies, advice and folklore. JUST GO.

913 Jackson Lake Rd, Chatsworth, Ga. 30705 (423) 438-1060

I would never put crappie in a pond that small. Stick with bass, pumpkinseeds, bluegills, and make sure you put plenty of channel catfish in there. It wouldn't hurt to throw in a good number of fathead minnows as some extra forge.

Time to chime in,I have permission to fish a pond that only two more can fish and I would class them as don't worry they won't catch much.The owner now is the son of the man I got permission from 20+ years ago.It is 7 or so acres and has bass crappie carp to control grass and shell crackers and a few species of bream.When his father owned it I was the only one to fish it.I could go and catch 30-40 bass in 2-3 hours the largest caught 9lbs 4 ounces.Since his death the son has been less than alert on keeping the pond from slip ins and the bass have been taken out and now the panfish have started getting smaller .I have been throwing them behind the spillway to swim downstream but it only helps slightly.If I were to stock crappie in a pond,one the pond would have a minimum depth of 20 foot deep and be at least five acres big with bass in there to help control the panfish.I would also cull and keep smaller fish.

I have fished farm ponds 95% of my fishing time since grade school & I am now 66. Bass & 'gills in ponds. Crappie only in larger waters. A key is selective harvest, which I practice & I catch a LOT of 9"-10" 'gills yearly with an occasional 11 incher thrown in. I would recommend getting on http://www.pondboss.com/ to learn about pond management.

Mike
    FAOL..All about caring, sharing, & good friends!!

+ Reply to Thread