+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Have you used cheese wax?

Hybrid View

Default Have you used cheese wax?

For dubbing, that is...

Found this huge box of cheese wax at work (High School). It has to weigh more than 25 lbs. Seems pretty tacky.

I don't use dubbing wax but may try a little touch dubbing if this stuff is so available. Anyone ever try it?

Mikeimage.jpg
    ‎"Trust, but verify" - Russian Proverb, as used by Ronald Reagan

Mike,

Probably work great for mouse patterns.

Regards,
    Scott

AlanB Guest

Yes, and No.

Yes I have used cheese wax. No, not for dubbing. I don't try to glue dubbing in place, I, well er, dub it!

What I have used it for is to give the correct colour of silk on the Greenwell's Glory (Well waxed primrose silk). I'd used up all my black cobblers wax and then thought about the cheese I had with black wax, so...

It is a little on the soft side really, but it works.

Cheers,
    A.

Blog Entries

I'm with you alanB. Don't understand using a lot of wax in the dubbing. Today's threads are pre-waxed a bit anyway.
    The one exception is when I "touch dub", but only do that on emergent sparkle pupa patterns.

Blog Entries

My father had a ball of it in his tying kit for many years. Mostly for silk floss, I recall. If you can market it, thought, 25# might be your retirement!

Hi Maodiver,

Back in my bait fishing days I used cheese marshmallows for trout, but.......

Well, I actually have used wax off of cheese for dubbing wax. I can't remember the type of cheese, but the wax was red. The wax was too slick, and not as sticky as I like, and didn't think it worked very well. It was also pretty soft compared to wax that I like better. It was probably better than no wax at all, but I would never buy the cheese just to get the wax again, at least not to use "as is" for fly tying.

That said, there are brands of regular fly tying wax that I don't like either.

Regards,

Gandolf
    Last edited by Gandolf; 04-23-2013 at 11:44 PM.

Yes I have. The wax on Gouda cheese is about right, and comes in 3 colours. I don't need it for fur like mole, but for course dubbings or slippery ones like Ice Dubbing it is quite handy, and only too soft if you hold it too long. With so many tiny bags formerly used for materials, it is not hard to keep it in its own and away from other stuff.

Yes, I have used the wax of of gouda cheese for the rare times that I use dubbing wax. I also combined it with rosin ( as in violin bow rosin } to make a very tacky wax and it is great !
    "Tap her light and she'll always be fresh"

+ Reply to Thread