+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Cortland Sylk vs. Silk Fly Line?

Default Cortland Sylk vs. Silk Fly Line?

Howdy everyone,
    I just picked up a Hardy Bougle reel to share between a couple of cane rods I currently own. While they cast a Rio Grand wf5 just fine on my Ross Vexis, I was wanting to go a little more traditional. As cool as it would be to load it with a genuine silk line, the cost difference between genuine silk and cortlands faux silk is huge. I'm also not real keen about caring for my lines as well as I should. I know, I'm answering my own question here. What would you do? Aside from the pure traditionalist aspect, is there any advantages to genuine silk lines that I may be missing?

Silk will last twenty years or more.
    Thinner diameter, cuts the wind better,
    More supple, lays that dry down so very gently

You do have to dry it after each outing and dress it before. Really not a big deal, both just take a few seconds to do. If properly dressed they will float all day. If you don't want to fish drys, say nymphs or wets, just don't dress it. So no need for a second spool and line. Or you could just dress a portion of the line.

I have fished Sylk and I have no problems with it, some do.

There is a DT5 for sale on the classic fly rod forum right now. It won't last long.

For the record, I have fished both silk and Sylk. I don't see any similarities between them at all, other than they are both fly lines. I am not a huge fan of either one. Nothing feels as good as my old Air Cel Supremes.

I have a 3wt DT Sylk on my glass rod and really love the way it both casts and floats. No experience with Silk lines.

I love Cortland Sylk, and it's the only line that will pass freely through the agate guides of some of my older cane rods. I don't think it compares to real silk, however.
    Bob

Thanks for the input fellas. I guess I'll give the sylk a try, if for no other reason than I won't be out as much money if I decide I don't like it. I do have extra 5 wt lines if I decide it's not for me. Thanks again.

+ Reply to Thread