+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Cane restoration questions

Default Cane restoration questions

I have an old cane rod that I wish to restore. The rod has a small split/delamination in the tip section. What is the best way to reglue this and what glue should I use? Any addition, what is the best method to remove the old finish?

Oh, and don't worry, this is not an expensive rod. I just want to try my hand at a restoration before building one from scratch.

Thanks in advance,

TNC

------------------
    Life is but a stream...

Open up the delam. area with common pins, work in some glue into the opening and pull the pins. I use Titebond 2 as a glue. Once the glue is in cross wrap the section with string and check that the section (shaft) is straight.
    I use Formbys Furniture Refinisher as a stripper, and wear rubber gloves when useing this stuff.

TNC,
    Regarding the split/delamintion in your tip section:

Remove the varnish from all six flats around the damaged area.

Use some sewing needles or pins to pry and hold open the delamination. Open it up as far as you can. Use either Titebond II, Titebond III (or my preference, golf club maker?s epoxy) and using still another needle work the adhesive from end-to-end into the wide-open split you?ve created. Pull out the pins. Next run some rod wrapping thread through some paraffin and with some pressure, wrap down your repair starting in the middle of the repair, wrapping to 1/4? past one end of the repair and then wrapping back to 1/4? past the opposite end of the repair. Tie off the thread and allow the adhesive to cure.

When the adhesive cures, un-wrap the repair and scrape off the excess glue being careful not to scrape off any bamboo. Then use 00 white silk or nylon thread (don't run this thread through parrifin) and over-wrap the entire repair (wrap 1/4? past the repair on each end). Make sure the wraps are even and flat. Apply two or three coats of spar varnish to the wrap. The wrap should turn almost invisible. Now it?s done!

Good luck with your project!

Regards and WDE!!!
    Bob L.

"If man had not been created to drink beer, we would not have been given stomachs."
    --Robert Earl James

[This message has been edited by bamboo4u2 (edited 28 February 2005).]

I agree with the above comments...

I also use Titebond II for this kind of repair. I like to place a temporary wrap about 1 inch above and 1 inch below the split. This will prevent it from running as you place pins in the cracks. I also like to use a small straw, the kind used for stirring coffee to blow the glue into the crack. A little air pressure will force the glue deep into the joint.

Thanks for the responses everyone. I will track down some Titebond II or III and give it a try.

One of the responses prompts another question. If I wanted to completely refinish the rod, do I really need to wrap the repaired area in silk? Is the glue alone not enough to repair the rod in the long run?

Thanks,

TNC

------------------
    Life is but a stream...

Your best bet is to do the repair just the way "bamboo 4u2" told you to do it. His instructions, if followed will correct your problem.
    Bruce

+ Reply to Thread