+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Advice from anyone that fishes catskills and/or delaware river

Default Advice from anyone that fishes catskills and/or delaware river

Hello All,
    I have a guided trip scheduled for a few weeks from now (early spring) on the West Branch of the Delaware.
    My question is what to do for the non-guided first day of my trip. I can stay in Hancock area and fish an area of the Delaware system or stay over in Roscoe area and fish over there.
    Only requirement is to find a "beginner friendly" area since I am still on the learning end of this sport.
    Also advice on accommodations etc. are much appreciated.
    Thanks

For smaller water stay in Roscoe. You'll have the Beaverkill and Willowemoc at your doorstep or within 5 minutes drive. The Rockland House, Baxter House, Reynolds House, Roscoe Motel. None **** but clean and functional. In Roscoe the shops can give you some advice and you can pick up a few flies for hatching insects.
    You should also go to the main page on this site and go into the menu for "Fish-Ins". Look up 'Roscoe Fish-In' and you can read what the area has to offer as well as hatch charts, stories of the years of the Fish-Ins and photographs we took at that event over the years.
    OH! If you're going the last week of May or the first week of June - be prepared for the hatching of perhaps a dozen or so mayfly species as well as caddis and stoneflies. If you decide to fish toward evening, keep you mouth shut unless you have an appetite for big mayflies like Green Drakes and March Browns, lol.

Allan

Watch this site for flow and hatch info. http://www.dettetroutflies.com.
    Allan is more versed but Roscoe is a nice little town. You could also hit the East Branch.

Beaverkill is not as technical. Many of the fish are stocked and it is easier to wade. The west branch is more difficult, but it can be floated with a guide. For me a good day on the east branch, west branch, or main stem is 3 or 4 fish, but they are bigger than beaverkill fish.

I have stayed in both Roscoe and on the west branch during late may. On the west branch you sometimes get access to nice water along with lodging. Lately, I have been staying in roscoe and fishing the beaverkill. When time on the water is limited, ya just want to catch a few.

That said, the beaverkill seems to heat up earlier and earlier each year. When the water warms, hit the tailgaters.

Thanks all, I will act on this advice and stay in Roscoe. can anyone recommend a specific stretch of beaverkill and/or willowemoc that I can fish on a sunday in april without annoying too many people with my (apparent) lack of skill. I am not at the level where I can share a pool with others and not fear putting all the fish down for the day.

You might try killing 2 birds with 1 stone. Go to the Museum and then foish the stretch above or below the bridge. On the way back to Roscoe, try the 'Power Line Pool' or 'Hazel Pool'. Just ask at the Museum where these are.

Have fun.

Allan

Quote Originally Posted by Allan View Post
    You might try killing 2 birds with 1 stone. Go to the Museum and then foish the stretch above or below the bridge. On the way back to Roscoe, try the 'Power Line Pool' or 'Hazel Pool'. Just ask at the Museum where these are.

Have fun.

Allan
    Thank you. That is exactly what I will do!

+ Reply to Thread