Bill,

There's a difference between a split and a break. A split can be somewhat(?) easily repaired. A clean break may be considerably more difficult to remedy and may require extensive surgery which may include a scarf.

Assuming however that what you have is a split:

If the split in the bamboo is under a guide, that?s actually a good thing (well, maybe not good but more of a lesser degree of bad) . When you?ve repaired the split, and replaced the guide, the guide should act as a splint for your repair.

First, remove the guide in the affected area. Remove the varnish from all six flats around the damaged area.

Use some sewing needles or pins to pry and hold open the splinters. Open it up as far as you can. Use either Titebond II, Titebond III (or my preference, golf club maker?s epoxy) and using still another needle work the glue from end-to-end into the wide-open split you?ve created. Pull out the pins. Next run some rod wrapping thread through some paraffin and with some pressure, wrap down your repair starting in the middle of the repair, wrapping to 1/4? past one end of the repair and then wrapping back to 1/4? past the opposite end of the repair. Tie off the thread and allow the adhesive to cure.

When the adhesive cures, un-wrap the repair and scrape off the excess glue being careful not to scrape off any bamboo. Then use 00 white silk or nylon thread and over-wrap the entire repair (wrap 1/4? past the repair on each end). Make sure the wraps are even and flat. Apply two or three coats of spar varnish to the repair wrap.

After the varnish on the repair has thoroughly dried, replace and re-wrap the guide, color preserve and/or varnish the guide wraps and it?s done!

Good luck with your project!

Regards and WDE!!!
Bob L.

"When I read about the evils of drinking, I gave up reading."
--Robert Earl James

[This message has been edited by bamboo4u2 (edited 28 February 2005).]