Bill,
This is my humble attempt to describe a scarf:
A scarf is a repair that requires that both sides of the break be planed accurately at a very acute angle, fitted, glued together, re-planed and/or sanded to fit and repair wrapped. I use ?scarfing blocks? (hardwood jigs to hold the rod pieces) to set up the work for planeing. Your rod tip would be shortened by the length of the scarf (just guessing but in this case probably 1.5" to 2"). Or a rod maker could scarf in a newly constructed tip piece that would maintain the length of your tip. Unless you're experienced, I wouldn't recommend that you attempt a scarf yourself.

If your rod is splintering out under the guide, you may still be able to glue it back together if it?s not completely broken in two. Lift the splinters with pins, glue, replace the splinters back in order ( sort of like the ?pick-up-sticks? game in reverse), and wrap. I?ve repaired some pretty badly splintered rods that weren?t quite gone ( hanging on by a splinter) and they turned out well?.In your case, especially if the repair is supported by a guide. Go slowly and deliberately.

Of course, if it is snapped in two, you?ll probably need a professional to repair it.

Regards and WDE!!!
Bob L.

"I drink to make other people interesting."
--Robert Earl James