+ Reply to Thread

Thread: I stink at wrapping on guides

Default I stink at wrapping on guides

How many times did you practice before you put one on? I'm loathe to try it on my blank because one of my practice runs slightly marred my blank. So I'm burning up the thread on the practice blank and not quite getting it right.

Grrrr.

[url=http://flyfisherman.com/rodbuilding//index3.html:ea0b0]http://flyfisherman.com/rodbuilding//index3.html[/url:ea0b0]

this might help - you will get right -keep trying - if not see if you can contact a rod builder in you area (Trout Unlimited club member). There are a lot of willing intstructors out there to lend a helping hand - I have taught several classes and with some on-hands help, everyone had learned to wrap a guide with trim wraps within 30 mins of practice. Post where you are, you may find someone in your area
    even trim wraps - Mike

Blog Entries

Not sure how you marred the blank, wrapping?
    Practice is all. One common mistake is too much tension on the thread and too tight a wrap not allowing for any movement.
    You only need enough tension that the thread will be snug but allowed to be moved. Small gaps in the thread can be easily be taken up with the use of your burnishing tool.
    Good luck and dont give up.

Just what I needed, guys. Thanks.

Marred the blank wrapping some thread on (maybe too tight?) and then soaking the wraps with alchohol to see what the color would do. Ended up with thread imprints on the blank that don't wipe off.

Quick tip, if you want to see what the thread will look like once finished, use olive oil to coat the thread. Just be sure to clean the blank with denatured alcohol when done.

Lou

I'm stinking less this week. Part of the problem was that I wasn't sure what proportion of colors to use and didn't have one technique to use them all.

This week I finally got tired of the practice blank, chose the proportions and after starting on the tip section of my own blank, developed a method that was repeatable.

I've even had the courage to do some over a couple of times. Ok and a few fell apart and HAD to be done over, too. This is every bit as humbling as flyfishing, wouldn't you agree?

One thing I've noticed about my Gatti blank is that it's very easy to mark. Even the rubber band that was on one of the saddles left a mark. Sheesh!

+ Reply to Thread