With most hooks that I have used hundreds or thousands of, I have found some issue with at least a few that renders the hook unusable. So there's my definition of "crappy": not fit for it's intended purpose. A few that come to mind:
1. Soft hooks that result in long distance releases, or even bend in the vise. Tiemco 100
2. Brittle hooks that break in the bend, sometimes just from being flexed while tying a fly. Some of these same hooks broke just behind the point while crushing the barb. Mustad swimming nymph hook. Don't remember the model number.
3. Poorly formed eyes, or eyes not completely closed. Dai-Riki 300 and 320, Tiemco 2487, and probably others.
4. And the showstopper of all defects: A size 14 treble hook in a box of dry fly hooks. Mustad 94840. (At least it was the right size!)

I don't think any manufacturer's hooks are free of defects. I don't accept a statement of any manufacturer's hooks being superior any more than a comment that another manufacturer's hooks are consistently "crappy". And past experiences have not necessarily placed a particular brand on my personal black list. For example, I still use a lot of Dai-Riki's because I think they are a good value. A final thought, quality and price have a poor correlation.
Good fishing,

Arnie